What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform healthcare and sustainability?
Serqet Therapeutics is one of the latest companies founded through Flagship Pioneering’s venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics, Rubius Therapeutics, and Evelo Therapeutics were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $19+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Serqet Therapeutics is integrating the latest developments in experimental biology to discover novel therapeutic strategies for a broad range of CNS disorders.
This is an opportunity for a highly motivated scientist to join the Discovery Biology group of Serqet Therapeutics to drive target and pathway discovery programs. Serqet Therapeutics comprises teams of computational scientists and disease biologists who together are uncovering novel genotypic and pathobiological facets of complex diseases for precision medicine. This is a leadership position with the primary objective of providing experimental validation of disease relevant pathways underlying patient clusters within complex disease populations revealed through proprietary computational analyses. This position calls for a senior biologist who can, in collaboration with computational and discovery biology teams, design and execute experiments that reveal the convergence of pathogenic circuits.
Flagship is an experiment in institutional, entrepreneurial, innovation practiced in the context of a small company with an insurgent mindset. We are seeking individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit, strong communication skills, and comfort working in and contributing to a dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The level of the role will commensurate with the education and years of experience of the identified candidate.
- Provide expert input into evaluating and understanding the biology of complex diseases with the goal of identifying tractable therapeutic targets.
- Bring forward plans to validate hypotheses, devise experimental work plans, and manage the execution of multiple work plans in a matrix research environment.
- Provide cutting edge laboratory expertise and continually develop new scientific approaches.
- Train and support the members of the Discovery Biology team and mentor members of the group on their scientific development.
- Collaborate seamlessly with the Computational Biology and Data Science team in evaluation of targets, experimental design, and data interpretation.
- Critically analyze data, identify next steps, and communicate findings to the team.
- MD or PhD in the biological sciences or related fields with 5+ years of relevant laboratory experience.
- 3+ years' experience in the pharma/biotech industry
- Strong leadership experience required
- Experience managing direct reports highly preferred
- Broad expertise in cell, molecular and biochemical biology of complex diseases. Experience with human stem cell derived cellular models is desirable.
- Experience utilizing systems biology to probe disease pathobiology.
- Experience working collaboratively with computational biology and statistical genetics teams.
- Strong communication skills, able to effectively engage, collaborate with and motivate scientists at all levels.
- Record of leading a successful research team.
- Publication record reflecting job-relevant experience.
- Collaborative, communication (inspiring, clear, structured), problem solving (creative, structured, deep, multifaceted), experiences (deep or broad), inspiring (not afraid of wicked problems, willing to redirect/restart, unafraid of failures).
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto