Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing to cure disease. Our genome is a mosaic comprising genes that protect us from, predispose us to, and cause disease. Gene Editing biotechnologies heralded the era of genome-modifying medicines, but they cannot address most diseases. Gene Writing is a new biotechnology that writes therapeutic messages into the genome to cure thousands of diseases at their source.
Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
Tessera Therapeutics is seeking a Head of Molecular Assays. This person will oversee a team of scientists and engineers, and be responsible for assay technology on-boarding, assay development, assay automation, and assay execution. They will bring deep molecular biology, assay technology, and automation expertise. Their goal will be to maximize assay speed, quality, and depth, as a central part of Tessera’s Gene Writer development and deployment platform.
- Oversee the development, production, automation, and execution of molecular assay technologies that maximize the throughput of Tessera’s Gene Writer platform
- Identify and on-board technologies from the single molecule space to the broad `omics space that address the needs underlying molecular validation of genome engineering and characterize potential therapeutic candidates
- Collaborate closely with platform teams to develop and implement assay, and with computational biology team to develop analysis methods
- Set up and manage strategic collaboration with CROs, vendors and/or biotechs for critical assays as needs arise
- Build and lead a team of research associates and scientist
- Ph.D. in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, gene therapy, immunology or related field with 5+ years of industry experience is required
- Passionate about the use of technology in science with a demonstrated ability to Identify and on-board new technology platforms for use in a therapeutic development process ranging from discovery to clinical
- Demonstrated understanding of the current therapeutic discovery and development process, especially in gene therapy, gene editing, mRNA, RNAi, or antisense
- Prior experience with quantitative assessment of on-target/off-target and cell penetrance for gene editing and /or gene therapy
- Proficiency with phenotypic assays, gene editing, high content imaging, flow cytometry, and -omics readouts
- Significant automation experience
- The ability to employ analytical tools, computational and statistical methodology, and automated laboratory technologies to enhance and optimize development workflows
- Experience independently generating precise, reliable data and skillfully interpreting the data
- Demonstrated ability to map scientific question to technology/assay assessment
- A strong self-starter, independent thinker, with a strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner
- The ability to effectively influence the work of others
- Eager to work with highly skilled and dynamic teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and technical setting
- Experience managing multiple bench researchers
Preferred Qualifications, if you have these it would be a plus:
- Track record of designing, developing and executing high quality cell profiling assays or screens across multiple cell types and using multiple technologies for biological understanding or therapeutic purposes. This could be in an industry or academic setting.
- Prior experience with single cell technologies beyond sequencing
- Experience with more advanced cellular models of disease such as 2D co-cultures, spheroids, organoids or organs-on-a-chip
- Experience with mammalian cell culture techniques
- Experience with delivery of gene editing, gene therapy, or RNA interference technologies in vivo or to ex vivo primary cells
- Experience operating in a cross-functional team environment
RECRUITING & STAFFING AGENCIES: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.