Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing to cure disease. Our genome is a mosaic comprising genes that protect us from, predispose us to, and cause disease. Gene Editing biotechnologies heralded the era of genome-modifying medicines, but they cannot address most diseases. Gene Writing is a new biotechnology that writes therapeutic messages into the genome to cure thousands of diseases at their source.
Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
Tessera Therapeutics is seeking a Senior Scientist in AAV process development. The candidate will have hands-on technical experience with downstream process development for the manufacture of biologics and will have a solid understanding of bioprocess engineering principles. The position will be responsible for downstream purification of recombinant viruses and will be a key member of the team developing expression and purification strategies for novel gene editing/gene therapy vectors. The candidate will also participate in the development of drug substance characterization assays and perform quality checks of drug substance. We seek applicants that are proactive, enthusiastic, and show a passion for process development. The applicant should have strong communication and collaboration skills, along with a strong technical background in nucleic acid production and assay development. Strong attention to details and excellent organizational and documentation skills are highly desirable.
- Contribute to a smart, integrated development approach for definition of scalable viral vector processes and suitable control strategies
- Plan and perform experiments to develop purification process steps including chromatography (affinity, IEX, HIC, SEC, etc.) and filtration (depth filtration, UFDF, and sterile filtration)
- Perform experiments to develop robust downstream unit operations, using DoE, multivariate analysis, and other statistical tools
- Manufacture critical materials for developmental and preclinical testing
- Participate in tech-transfer activities with CMOs
- Supervise direct report(s).
- PhD (2-5 yrs) in a relevant scientific discipline (e.g. Biological or Chemical Engineering, Biology, Virology) with experience in bioprocess development
- Hands on experience with downstream processing of biologics – especially for adeno associated virus (AAV)
- Experience in bioprocess unit operations: centrifugation, depth filtration, chromatography (ion exchange, size exclusion, affinity), tangential flow filtration, and sterile filtration
- Desire to take on new technology challenges and broaden technical skill set, including upstream bioreactor manufacture of viral vectors and/or product characterization/analysis
- Application of advanced automation and statistical data analysis in development, including design of experiments (DoE) is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively in team-oriented environment; driven and highly organized, attention to details
RECRUITING & STAFFING AGENCIES: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.