Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing to cure disease. Our genome is a mosaic comprising genes that protect us from, predispose us to, and cause disease. Gene Editing biotechnologies heralded the era of genome-modifying medicines, but they cannot address most diseases. Gene Writing is a new biotechnology that writes therapeutic messages into the genome to cure thousands of diseases at their source.
Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
The Scientist will be responsible for the design and execution of various molecular and cellular biology studies that are advancing Tessera’s gene writers into pre-clinical models. This individual will be tasked with independently conducting research related to advancing promising platform technologies into cellular models and in vivo proof-of-concept studies. In addition to independent research projects, there will be a significant amount of collaboration across research and development along with external collaborators. This Scientist will join a dynamic, rapidly growing, and highly collaborative team that combines significant biologic drug discovery experience with pioneering discoveries driving a novel biological platform.
- Design, develop, and execute cellular and molecular biology methods to characterize gene writers that are delivered as proteins, nucleic acids, nucleic acids encapsulated in lipid nanoparticles, and/or viruses
- Carry out and develop strategies for delivery of gene writer platform technologies in cellular model systems and pre-clinical animal models
- Design and execute quantitative assays to measure expression and localization of gene writer components that include measuring protein, RNA, and DNA
- Communicate experimental results and analysis to internal and external collaborators
- Interpret and correlate data from internal and collaborator studies to design and translate findings into cellular models and pre-clinical animal studies
- Actively contribute to the scientific discourse of the research team’s characterization and creation of new platform technologies
- Time management of multiple projects while keeping excellent records of experimental results
- Contribute and participate to the mentorship of junior researchers
- Work and communicate within a highly collaborative and dynamic team of researchers and scientists
- Ph.D. in Cellular, Molecular biology, and/or related field with 2+ years of relevant research experience. Master’s degree with 8+ years of relevant biotech research experience. Preference to candidates with experience working with gene editing, mRNA, and/or AAV.
- Industry experience or academic achievement with strong track record of high caliber research
- Excellent communication, record keeping, presentation, and time management skills
- Attention to detail and ability to comfortably work on multiple projects simultaneously
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Biotech/Pharmaceutical research experience
- Creativity and innovativeness to design and develop new approaches to characterize the delivery of proteins, nucleic acids, and/or viruses to cells and tissues
- Experience with primary cell culture and pre-clinical rodent animal models
- Knowledge and experience with the proper design of in vivo animal studies
- Experience handling, testing, and characterizing AAV
- Next-generation sequencing library preparation
- Experience performing and troubleshooting molecular biology techniques (e., PCR, Western blots, gDNA extraction) and cellular biology experiments (i.e., transfections, transductions, flow cytometry)
- Experience using computer software to analyze and interpret data from flow cytometry, microscopy, molecular biology related experiments
- Rodent animal model handling, injections, and necropsy
- Experience performing IHC/ISH with tissue samples that are embedded and prepared on slides
- Self-motivated and curious with strong desire to both learn from and teach others
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.