Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing to cure disease. Our genome is a mosaic comprising genes that protect us from, predispose us to, and cause disease. Gene Editing biotechnologies heralded the era of genome-modifying medicines, but they cannot address most diseases. Gene Writing is a new biotechnology that writes therapeutic messages into the genome to cure thousands of diseases at their source.
Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
The successful candidate will bring passion and bioinformatics analyst expertise into a company pioneering a new type of genome engineering called Gene Writing. This person will be responsible for working closely with our platform teams to create appropriate data analyses plans, perform analysis and communicate key findings
- Work collaboratively with our platform and Biology teams to enable scientific discovery and progression through data analysis, data visualization and data integration
- Build and implement a data analysis pipeline and storage solution for various forms of sequencing including Amplicon sequencing, long-read sequencing (Pac Bio) and related methods
- Identify and acquire relevant public and third-party ‘omics data and perform integrative data analyses to generate insights that address strategic biological questions critical to Tessera’s core mission.
- Develop computational methods that provide project support to gene therapy project teams
- Operationalize data analysis aspects of relevant molecular assays to maximize the design, build, test cycle for platform and pipeline candidates
- Structure and store data to enable data reuse, data mining and machine learning
- Create compelling data visualizations for internal and external presentations
Basic Technical Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in quantitative discipline or comparable experience: Bioinformatics, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Biophysics, Computational Biology, Physics, Engineering or Machine Learning. Candidates with M.S. degree in above-named fields with extensive (at least 4 years) work experience will also be considered.
- A proven computational biologist or bioinformatician with 2+ years of industry experience in discovery research or translational medicine
- Proficient with experimental design, data processing, statistical analysis, and bioinformatics analysis/reporting of next-generation sequencing data
- Experience analyzing gene therapy, gene editing, in vitro/vivo assay, genetics, genomics and cell biology data
- Experience using comparative genomics as a tool for gene discovery
- Strong grounding in biology or medicine
- Strong data visualization skills and experience
- Fluency in one or more programming languages with bioinformatics applications (e.g. R/Bioconductor, Python, Perl). Other scripting tools or languages such as Matlab, Java and databases (e.g., MongoDB, MySQL) is a plus.
- Fluency with the full stack AWS environment
Basic Interpersonal Qualifications:
- Experience navigating the “bi-lingual” nature of data analysis and science
- Outstanding teamwork, communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven contributions to cross-functional project teams
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary environment
- The ability to effectively influence the work of others
Preferred Qualifications, if you have these it would be a plus:
- Therapeutic expertise in oncology, immunologically-based or rare genetic diseases
- Experience analyzing large scale oncology data
- Experience contributing scientific background and supporting data for patents and IND filings
- Analysis experience with imaging and other profiling technologies
- Experience analyzing high throughput screening data for drug or target discovery
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.