Research Associate/Senior Research Associate, Cell Line/Vector Development
Ring Therapeutics Inc. is a privately held, early-stage biotechnology company pioneering a completely novel form of gene therapy by exploiting a family of naturally occurring commensal viruses to create the first redosable and targetable DNA medicines. This approach enables a powerful new class of tropic, persistent, non-integrating vectors that overcome the immunogenicity, and limited tropism of existing gene therapy vectors. Ring Therapeutics is leveraging this versatile technology to develop a broad pipeline of novel, targeted medicines for disease with high unmet medical need.
Ring Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, focused on launching breakthrough companies based on internally conceived innovations and insights. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
Ring Therapeutics is seeking a Research Associate/Senior RA to join the Bioprocess team to help develop new DNA medicine technologies. The candidate will design and execute cell culture process development experiments, perform analytical testing, analyze data, interpret and present results. The candidate will assist in optimizing gene therapy vector production and focus on small-scale cell culture activities using shaker flasks and HT screening systems to quickly test vector designs. Experience in purification/filtration and some chromatography is valued. The candidate will also have opportunities to contribute in the development of alternative production and purification processes for a novel set of viral vectors.
- Work under the guidance of a Sr. Scientist with a focus on cellular and vector engineering to increase vector productivity and develop next generation viral vector systems.
- Run small scale studies in adherent/suspension mammalian and insect cells to produce viral vectors for initial screens of how vector designs influence productivity and potency.
- Run high-throughput screening platform (using transfection of suspension or adherent cells) for evaluation of new vector designs and/or process changes that boost vector yields
- Express, characterize and purify viral vectors and/or viral proteins at research scale, through transfections of adherent or suspension cells
- Assist with vector analytics devoted to understanding potency
- Expression and characterization of recombinant viral proteins and vectors at research scale
- Maintaining lab notebooks, and reporting data and analysis results to the scientific team
- Hands on experience with adherent and suspension cell culture (maintenance, cell banking, harvesting) is required
- Prior experience in protein or virus production in mammalian and/or insect cells is highly desired
- 1-5 years’ experience in operating shaker flasks and performing either lipid-based, or electroporation-based transfections is highly desired
- Experience with basic chromatography in either batch mode or using FPLC/HPLCs is a plus
- Experience in the development of stable cell lines is a plus
- BS, MS or equivalent in a science program preferred (e.g. biology, chemistry, etc.)
- 3-5 years (BS) or 1-5 years (MS) of relevant laboratory experience, in academic, pharmaceutical or biotechnology settings.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Motivated, curious, and comfortable working with highly technical projects and personnel.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner.
- Comfortable delivering against challenging commitments.
- Confident, execution focused, team oriented, with an ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.