What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Flagship VL55, Inc. (VL55) is a well-funded, early stage biotechnology company founded by Flagship Pioneering. VL55 is pioneering medicines based on a novel category of molecules that play a fundamental role in human-microbe communication.
VL55 was founded in Flagship’s venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT) were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
VL55 is seeking a creative, motivated Scientist to play a leading role in the research and development of the Immunology Program. The candidate will be responsible for in vitro immunological assay development to translate biological insights generated by our computational engine into compelling bioactivity. The role will involve designing, conducting, and optimizing discovery experiments to identify novel biological targets of microbial-derived products and demonstrate disease-relevant biological functions. The candidate will contribute critically to shaping the vision, strategy of the Immunology program. The candidate will bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation, demonstrate strong communication skills, and be comfortable working in and contributing to a very dynamic and cross-functional team environment.
Flagship is an experiment in institutional, entrepreneurial, innovation practiced in the context of a small company with an insurgent mindset. We are seeking individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit, strong communication skills, and comfort working in and contributing to a dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The level of the role will commensurate with the education and years of experience of the identified candidate.
- Design a wide variety of in vitro immunological assays and conduct key experiments to demonstrate disease-relevant function of microbial products.
- Contribute creatively and strategically to in vitro assay design, optimization and derive actionable biological conclusions and new experimental proposals.
- Collaborate closely with other scientists and RAs.
- Identify and lead external research relationships with academic and commercial partners, including in vivo studies with external CROs.
- Reporting results to scientific team and management.
- Ph.D. with 3+ years of relevant industrial experience in Immunology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biological Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with primary human cell culture, cell-based biological assay development for MOA studies.
- Experience with diverse molecular and cell biology techniques, including ELISA, multiplex cytokine assays, western blots, flow cytometry, microscopy, HPLC, PCR, microbial culture techniques, etc.
- Experience with high throughout phenotypic screening techniques is a plus.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner.
- Self-driven and demonstrated ability in working with highly skilled teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial setting.
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.