What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform healthcare and sustainability?
FL54 is a privately held, early stage biotechnology company creating an unprecedented drug discovery platform around transporter proteins to discover novel therapeutics. As the molecular gateways of our bodies, transporters are responsible for the flux of all biomolecules into and out of all cells and organelles. As a generally untapped but druggable class of proteins, transporters have been ignored because they are notoriously difficult to work with. FL54 is developing novel biological and technological solutions for transporter biology to treat a broad range of diseases.
FL54 Inc is one of the latest companies founded through Flagship Pioneering’s venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics, Rubius Therapeutics, and Evelo Therapeutics were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $19+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a Director/Senior Director of Biochemistry and Assay Development to join the team to lead the company’s protein and assay platform. The successful candidate is a confident leader with significant prior success in developing, validating, and implementing novel assays in the context of the biotechnology industry. This is an exciting and interdisciplinary role for a highly qualified and motivated individual. We are looking for an enthusiastic, innovative scientist with a passion for bringing novel medicines to patients. S(he) will be comfortable working in and contributing to a very dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The applicant will be part of a fast-paced drug discovery team.
- Develop, manage, and set the strategic direction of the company’s protein platform, including protein production and QC, assay development, validation, and scale-up
- Guide the development, validation, and scale-up of novel assays based on membrane proteins that can assess protein/small molecule binding and/or kinetics
- Manage the scientific and operational aspects of the program(s), including implementation, development of program timelines, and monitoring of key milestones and decision points
- Build, lead and manage a high-performing group of talented scientists
- Perform research and development in collaboration with other functions in projects pertaining to a range of potential indications
- Communicate, as appropriate, efforts and progress to internal and external parties
- Ph.D. with 6+ years of relevant post-Ph.D. experience in the Biotech/Pharma industry
- Demonstrated experience working with membrane proteins (transporters, ion channels, GPCRs)
- Broad expertise with multiple biophysical and biochemical assays. Additional experience with cell-based assays preferred
- Experience with designing, validating, and running high throughput chemical screens
- Experience with expression and purification of membrane proteins
- Prior experience working with or leading collaborations with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations
- Experience in mentoring and/or leading Ph.D. level and non-Ph.D. level scientists
- Ability to organize and communicate complex data sets in a clear and concise manner to key stakeholders from diverse backgrounds
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.
f a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.