What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Flagship Pioneering has launched a privately held, biotechnology company that is pioneering novel diagnostics for cancer. This new company Flagship Labs 67, Inc. (FL67) is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional scientist to join our team.
FL67 was founded in Flagship’s venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT) were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
FL67 is seeking an innovative and highly motivated individual to lead the development of novel and groundbreaking cancer diagnostics. The successful candidate has expertise in patient sample processing, NGS workflows, development of biomarkers or diagnostics and will play a key role in the company’s efforts to discover, validate and commercialize novel diagnostics for cancer. The candidate will be responsible for developing experimental plans, executing and analyzing experiments in close collaboration with more junior technical staff to prepare high-quality data in adherence with best practices. The successful candidate will work closely with the FL67 team to rapidly advance the scientific program and must be organized, goal oriented, and eager to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
Flagship is an experiment in institutional, entrepreneurial, innovation practiced in the context of a small company with an insurgent mindset. We are seeking individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit, strong communication skills, and comfort working in and contributing to a dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The level of the role will commensurate with the education and years of experience of the identified candidate.
- Provide scientific leadership for the Molecular Biology team and across biology
- Lead platform innovation and advance core technology
- Develop experimental plans, execute, analyze, and communicate scientific findings
- Implement technologies to develop and validate novel NGS technologies
- Lead and develop colleagues using effective coaching and mentorship to maximize performance, engagement, and scientific growth
- PhD in the biological sciences (cancer genomics, molecular biology, epigenetics, biochemistry, or related field) or related discipline
- 5+ years of relevant laboratory experience in industry or academia. Experience in regulated environments (CLIA, CAP, ISO, etc.) a plus
- Deep expertise in NGS workflows (including nucleic acid extractions, library preparation, enrichment methods, methylation sequencing, etc.). Experience with developing and validating novel NGS assays.
- A strong record of accomplishment in the field, including publications, patents, and presentations
- Strong attention to detail and adherence to good laboratory practice
- Demonstrated ability to work in highly skilled teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, or technical setting
- Experience with bisulfite sequencing data a plus.
- Experience with automation a plus
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model!
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation with Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.