FL67: Computational Biology RA/Scientist
Flagship Pioneering has launched a privately held, biotechnology company that is pioneering cancer biomarker detection and discovery. This new company (FL67) is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire a Computational Biology RA/Scientist to join our team.
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has created over 75 groundbreaking companies that are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:SYRS), Axcella Health, Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
FL67 is seeking an innovative and highly motivated Computational Biologist who will be integral in the company’s efforts for identifying predictive biomarkers of cancer. The successful candidate has a strong background in computer science, mathematics, statistics and machine learning, as well as industry experience in the life-sciences. The role will involve development and application of various bioinformatics, (meta)genomics, and next-generation sequencing analyses and pipelines, as well as using biological data to train and evaluate machine learning models. Successful candidates should be scientifically motivated self-starters, comfortable working in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment and keen on modeling biological processes using rich datasets.
- Implement leading prediction and machine learning algorithms for cancer classification
- Analyze and extract biological insights from internal and public datasets by developing new computational methods or leveraging existing methods when possible
- Create, implement and maintain pipelines for processing high-throughput next-generation sequencing data for genomics, epigenomics, and transcriptomics studies
- Implement and develop data analysis/visualization tools to enable biologists accessing data
- Cultivate a data-centric company philosophy by creating best practices for data management and infrastructure
- MS or PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field
- 2 years of industry experience in a computational-focused early stage company or at a pharmaceutical company
- Experience in machine learning approaches such as Random Forest, SVM, Neural Networks
- Experience using general purpose and statistical computer languages (C++, Java, Go, R, Python) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets
- Strong experience with pipeline development, bioinformatics tools and data management
- Experience with epigenetic and transcriptomic data is a plus