Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources and develops first-in-category life sciences companies. The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where Flagship's team of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas into new fields and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world inventions and ventures. Flagship manages more than $3.3 billion in funds and, since 2000, the firm has applied its hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in more than $30 billion in aggregate value, hundreds of issued patents and a current pipeline of more than 40 novel therapeutic agents undergoing clinical trials.
Flagship Pioneering is seeking an experienced and talented accounting professional to join a first-in-category organization. The Accountant will be an instrumental player in the financial reporting for the Flagship Funds. The individual will be responsible for managing cash across a number of Flagship Funds at various stages of their life cycle, including processing investments, distributions, and capital calls from investors. The individual will be responsible developing and implementing new accounting policies and procedures to scale within the organization, provide insights and analytics on both Fund and Portfolio Company performance.
- Prepare quarterly and annual GAAP financial statements and supporting schedules, including complete closing package with Partners’ Capital allocations done in accordance with operative agreements.
- Participate in the completion of the Funds’ annual audit including preparation of schedules and supporting documentation.
- Research and draft private portfolio company valuations; price public portfolio.
- Prepare quarterly reporting for the Advisory Committee and the Limited Partners.
- Calculate and process capital calls, cash and stock distributions.
- Prepare and process documentation required to make investments in portfolio companies.
- Daily cash monitoring and reporting.
- Preparation of year-end tax work papers.
- Manage and respond to investor requests
- Ad hoc reporting: fund raising diligence requests and other special reporting requests including preparation of Annual Meeting materials.
- Manage and maintain the firm’s Portfolio Management database which includes the firms investor database, portfolio company monitoring, and financial reporting
- Assist with specific projects and initiatives unique to an innovation enterprise that is conceiving, and creating first in class biotechnology companies.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting is required
- 1-3 years accounting experience, within a Fund administrator or VC/PE Firm is preferred
- Understanding of GAAP and Tax principles surrounding investment firms
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Excel and Word
- Detail-oriented personality
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with eFront or similar fund accounting software a plus
- Must have excellent analytical skills, with very strong attention to detail
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing conditions and different culture
- Ability to work within and meet all deadlines while executing on multiple deliverables
- Flexible, personable team-player, comfortable in a fast-paced, small company environment
- Proven ability to set and meet ambitious deadlines, handle numerous multifaceted financial matters and see projects through to conclusion
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to work collaborativel