Generate Biomedicines, Inc. is a Flagship backed, privately-held biotechnology company on a mission to reimagine the drug discovery process to one of dynamic, data-driven generation. We pursue this audacious vision because we believe in the unique and revolutionary power of generative biology to radically transform the lives of billions, with an outsized opportunity for patients in need. Generate will be successful by constantly turning innovative ideas into methods, technologies, and products that solve some of the most difficult challenges with developing medicines. We are seeking collaborative, relentless problem solvers that share our passion for impact to join us!
Generate was founded by Flagship Pioneering. Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $30 billion in aggregate value. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 37 transformative companies, including: Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Indigo Agriculture, and Sana Biotechnology.
Generate is seeking a highly creative Head of Platform Strategy & Operations to join the leadership team. In this newly created role, the candidate will drive the design, implementation, scaling, and overall operational excellence of Generate’s generative biology platform. This person will own the strategy for driving faster, better generate-build-test cycles than any other company with continual push for improvement and maximized learning. This is a matrixed role that will also drive platform strategy across the Machine Learning, Protein Sciences, and Medicines Teams. The ideal candidate operates comfortably in a pioneering environment and has had senior level technical responsibility and product ownership with demonstrated success in platform building and operations. S(he) must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with highly developed leadership skills. Affinity for novel scientific technologies leading to the discovery of new medicines that address unmet medical needs is essential.
- Own strategy and definition of platform build requirements and evaluation across entire generative biology platform and within each individual modality
- Define and implement robust platform requirements and execute platform strategy ranging from rapid prototyping to production-scale systems
- Own DNA synthesis and assembly operational excellence and benchmarking across external vendors and internal build – optimizing cost, speed, and accuracy
- Develop and implement platform evaluation metrics for continual monitoring of product evolution and improvement
- Own build strategy and operational excellence for allowing faster, better generate-build-test cycles than any other company
- Collaborate with machine learning, protein sciences, and medicines teams to continually strive for technology and process improvements to maximize platform output and utility
- Collaborate with machine learning team to optimize and evaluate build platform for both throughput and quality
- Own strategy for producing 1,000+ therapeutic proteins across each modality platform every week
- Rapidly scale generative biology platform to rapid testing and learning from 1,000+ therapeutic protein varients across diverse therapeutic products
- Collaborate with protein sciences team to develop a scalable platform that can support specification for each modality
- Strong thought partner with world-class AI team and high-throughput assay teams to maximize impact of generation platform
- Collaborate with generation team to optimize platform strategy specifically for Generate’s generative biology platform
- Develop novel DNA synthesis, assembly, and expression platform strategies for maximal learning and iteration
- As a member of Generate’s leadership team, share in overall ownership of the company’s vision, mission, and corporate strategy
- Embody the company’s vision, mission & core values in all interactions – internally and with external stakeholders
- Driven by Generate’s mission to revolutionize the pharmaceutical industry
- Optimistic and innovative; solution-oriented; shows no signs of cynicism
- Values, communicates and interacts with others with high levels of transparency and respect
- Present scientific and corporate strategy to the company’s Board of Directors, Scientific Advisory Board, and external stakeholders.
Pivotal Experience & Expertise:
- At least 15 years of combined platform building experience from the biotech/biopharmaceutical industry and world-class academic institutions with demonstrated career growth and experience gained in leading mid-sized to large R&D organizations.
- Demonstrated platform builder: Has successfully built or managed large automation pipelines for synthetic/molecular biology. Demonstrated experience in prototyping bespoke experimental pipelines and scaling to production.
- Focus on execution, speed, and value: Exceptionally process oriented with a focus on optimizing execution, speed, and value of therapeutic discovery platforms.
- Drive for continual improvement: Highly practical and able to make swift judgement calls for continual improvement, recognizing that perfection is the enemy of progress. An early adopter of new methods and technologies only in as far as they intrinsically improve the build strategy for maximal value of generative biology.
- Detail-oriented and focused on quality: Values and demands high levels of quality control and traceability. Collaborate strongly with the generation team to learn the data quality specifications required for maximal learning.
- Highly collaborative and strong integrator: Capable of effortlessly interfacing and communicating with diverse teams, including computational biology, machine learning, informatics, and protein sciences.
- The successful candidate must be a resilient and resourceful leader who inspires others to excel. Other attributes should include, but are not be limited to:
- Partner with the Medicines and Protein Sciences organizations to attract, develop, engage and retain a highly multi-disciplinary team; inspires and motivates matrixed teams to achieve extraordinary results; and connects to employees at all levels.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environments; high-energy; optimistic and innovative.
- Comfortable operating and leading in ambiguous environments. Possesses a “roll up your sleeves” and “get things done” attitude. Process oriented but highly creative.
- Results oriented with a bias for action, infusing the team with a positive energy and enthusiasm. Possesses and projects a high sense of urgency to achieve results.
- Data driven, comfortable with a broad range of technologies.
- Uses data in decision-making.
- Highly collaborative and emphatic; challenges in an appropriate manner.
- Personal integrity and strong work ethic.