Flagship Pioneering has launched a privately held, biotechnology company that is pioneering novel diagnostics for cancer. This new company (FL67) is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire a Head of Computational Biology to join our team.
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has created over 75 groundbreaking companies that are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:SYRS), Axcella Health, Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
FL67 is seeking an innovative and highly motivated leader who will be integral in the company’s efforts to develop novel diagnostics for cancer. The successful candidate has a strong background in computer science, mathematics, statistics and machine learning, as well as leadership and management experience. The candidate will be responsible for leading a team of computational biologists and machine learning scientists towards the development of cancer classification algorithms using ‘omics data. The successful candidate will work closely with all FL67 teams to rapidly advance the scientific program.
- Design and implement state-of the art prediction and machine learning algorithms for cancer classification
- Own and oversee computational projects that include designing experiments, sourcing data, developing computational approaches, analyzing data and presenting results
- Oversee and manage a team of computational biologists and machine learning scientists that collectively develop FL67’s cancer classification algorithms
- Analyze internal and external data sets to address biological questions critical to FL67’s core mission
- Monitor and evaluate new and emerging analytical technologies, and identify opportunities for collaboration within Flagship Pioneering companies, academia, and third parties
- PhD - Computer Science, Statistics, or Bioinformatics with a specialty in machine learning
- Minimum seven years of post-PhD experience
- Experience in machine learning approaches such as Random Forest, SVM, Neural Networks
- Experience using general purpose and statistical computer languages (C++, Java, Go, R, Python) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets
- Proven track record of novel method development and significant contributions to the field
- Experience of deep learning and tools (TensorFlow, PyTorch, Theano) is a plus