Flagship Labs 63 Inc. (FL63) is a privately held, well-funded, early-stage platform biotechnology company that is leveraging emerging insights in RNA biology to develop novel human therapeutics with a focus on mRNA translation and post-transcriptional RNA modifications.
FL63 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, resources and grows first-in-category life science companies. The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship VentureLabs, is where teams of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world ventures. Flagship manages >$2.4B in funds and has applied its hypothesis-driven innovation process to foster 75 scientific enterprises. These companies represent >$19B in aggregate value, have been issued 500+ patents, and have conducted >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship’s portfolio companies include Moderna Therapeutics, Rubius Therapeutics, and Indigo Agriculture.
FL63 is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional scientist to join our growing team. A successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in cell/molecular biology (or equivalent), an additional 3-5 years of relevant experience, and a proven track-record of scientific excellence as evidenced by a strong publication and/or patent record. The candidate’s career goals, laboratory skills, and core competencies should be aligned with the description below.
- Design, execute, and interpret multiple experimental workflows with an emphasis on viral vector based delivery and pooled-based massively parallel screening technologies.
- Continually cultivate scientific/technical expertise through critical review of the scientific literature, attending external conferences, and developing relationships with key opinion leaders.
- Work effectively with a cross-functional biology, technology, and chemistry team to contribute to the vision, strategy, and tactics of the organization.
- Willing to work hands-on in the wet lab for the first 1-3 years and to recruit/develop a team in 2-5 years.
- Strong viral vector background with a focus on lentiviral vectors and AAV technology.
- Proven track record in viability- and FACS-based pooled shRNA/CRISPR screening and other massively parallel assay technologies.
- Working knowledge of Illumina-based NGS & associated data QC/analysis methods.
- Exposure to complex cellular systems including primary cells, human ESC/iPSC-derived models, and 3D organoids.
- Experience with lab automation/robotics & knowledge of modern statistics-based experimental design methods including Design of Experiments (DoE) models.
- Expertise in the field of RNA biology.
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking and innovation. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions. Generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
- Teamwork. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto