Flagship Labs 63 Inc. (FL63) is a privately held, well-funded, early-stage platform biotechnology company that is leveraging emerging insights in RNA biology to develop a novel class of human therapeutics.
FL63 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, resources and grows first-in-category life science companies. The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where teams of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world ventures. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in >$19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship’s portfolio companies include Moderna, Rubius Therapeutics, and Indigo Agriculture.
FL63 is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional scientist to join our growing team. A successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in cell biology (or equivalent), an additional 3-5 years of relevant experience, and a proven track-record of scientific excellence as evidenced by a strong publication and/or patent record. The candidate’s career goals, laboratory skills, and core competencies should be aligned with the description below.
- Design, execute, and interpret multiple experimental workflows including standard cell biology methods with an emphasis on stem cell biology.
- Internalize and develop novel technologies related to the company’s mission.
- Continually cultivate scientific/technical expertise through critical review of the scientific literature, attending external conferences, and developing relationships with key opinion leaders.
- Work effectively with a cross-functional biology, technology, and chemistry team to contribute to the vision, strategy, and tactics of the organization.
- Willing to work hands-on in the wet lab for the first 1-3 years and to recruit/develop a team in 2-5 years.
- Strong general cell biology background.
- Expertise in stem cell biology with a focus on iPSC reprogramming and differentiation into several disease-relevant cell types focused on rare disease.
- Experience in gene editing methods including CRISPR/Cas9 technologies.
- Effective design and implementation of innovative, biologically relevant reporter gene assays to monitor various molecular biology processes.
- Skilled in several types of endogenous readouts including molecular profiling, signal transduction, cellular status and disease-specific phenotypes.
- Excellence in experimental design and assay development.
- Established track record in the RNA biology field
- Experience with microplate based &/or pooled genetic screening and other massively parallel assay formats
- Established track record in people management and team leadership skills
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
- Creativity & Innovation. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation.
- Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. Comfortable with ambiguity.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.