Flagship Labs 63 Inc. (FL63) is a privately held, well-funded, early-stage platform biotechnology company that is leveraging emerging insights in RNA biology to develop a novel class of human therapeutics. FL63 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, resources and grows first-in-category life science companies. The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where teams of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world ventures. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in >$19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship’s portfolio companies include Moderna, Rubius Therapeutics, and Indigo Agriculture.
FL63 is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional computational biologist to join our growing team. A successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in computational biology/bioinformatics (or equivalent), an additional 5+ years of relevant experience, and a proven track-record of scientific excellence as evidenced by a strong publication and/or patent record. The candidate’s career goals, in silico skills, and core competencies should be aligned with the description below.
- Conceive/execute foundational computational biology strategy in collaboration with the FL63 leadership team, including driving the selection of appropriate computational technologies to support the company’s mission.
- Recruit and develop a world-class computational biology team by hiring top talent and leveraging external partners.
- Integrate internal and external datasets to generate unique inferences for hypothesis generation and subsequent wet lab testing in an iterative fashion with a focus on target/disease selection, mechanism-of-action determination, and biomarker discovery.
- Develop reproducible analyses and process for sharing, mining and visualizing results associated with mission-critical data sets.
- Continually cultivate scientific/technical expertise through critical review of the scientific literature, attending external conferences, and developing relationships with key opinion leaders.
- Work effectively with a cross-functional biology, technology, and chemistry team to contribute to the vision, strategy, and tactics of the organization.
- Willing to work hands-on in the dry lab in the near term and recruit/develop a team in medium-to-long term
- Proven track-record in establishing computational biology platforms and leveraging bioinformatics to generate high quality hypotheses for wet lab testing through integration of genetic, genomic and other relevant biological data sets.
- Expert knowledge in patient genetics datasets with a focus on rare disease areas.
- Deep expertise in computational biology data analytics with an emphasis on NGS (i.e. Illumina, Nanopore) methods.
- Working knowledge of statistical and algorithmic methods including machine learning/AI with track record of implementation to impact one or more steps of the drug discovery process.
- Fluency in one or more coding languages most relevant to life sciences (e.g. R, Python) and working knowledge of the AWS cloud computing environment.
- Strong data visualization and communication skills with the ability to clearly explain the implications of complex data sets and drive decision-making.
- Working knowledge of data science principles with the ability to work as a team member to develop/implement a modern data architecture strategy.
- Established track record in the RNA biology field with expertise in specialized RNA-centric NGS methods including Ribo-seq, RIP-seq, eCLIP and RNA chemical probing (e.g. SHAPE-MaP).
- Exposure to the structural biology/molecular modeling field with an emphasis on RNA and ribonucleoprotein (RNP) complexes.
- Established track record in team/group leadership skills.
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
- Creativity & Innovation. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation.
- Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. Comfortable with ambiguity.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.