VL50 Inc. is a privately held, early-stage biotechnology company with the mission to become the leader in cell biology. VL50 explores the broad and emerging role of nucleic acid modifications and leverages novel technologies to develop treatments across multiple disease areas.
VL50 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a team of entrepreneurial scientists that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has created over 75 groundbreaking companies that are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Moderna Therapeutics (MRNA), Seres Therapeutics (MCRB), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), Kaleido Biosciences (KLDO), and Indigo Agriculture. VL50 Inc. is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional scientist to join our team.
VL50 is seeking a Scientist/Sr. Scientist to join our expanding team as a part of our platform group, to design and develop delivery strategies for our nucleic acid based modality. The candidate must be independent and motivated, and able to efficiently lead teams and complete multiple projects. The ideal applicant will be an experienced scientist with a strong background in formulations including lipid nanoparticles (LNP) vehicles. The position will support projects within a broad therapeutic platform that requires delivery technology development and optimization. The successful candidate will focus on designing and developing formulations of complex nucleic acids constructs. The successful candidate will also develop the necessary analytical methods for formulation characterization.
The level of the role will be determined (Scientist/Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist) commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Design and optimize novel formulations (LNPs, PNPs, lipoplexes etc..) for active molecule delivery systems, while providing critical input on our overall formulation strategy
- Develop loading/encapsulation strategies for complex nucleic acid cargos
- Develop appropriate analytical methods to characterize the formulations including nanoparticle techniques and methods to assess purity and stability of the formulated molecules
- Develop novel in vitro and in vivo assays for evaluating functionality, targeting efficiency and potency of novel delivery modalities
- Work with internal project team and CROs to supply appropriate formulations for in vivo studies
- Generate and support generation of IP for core projects
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Engineering, Pharmaceutical Sciences or related discipline with at 2+ years of industry experience
- Demonstrated strong background in developing diverse formulation and lipid nanoparticle-based delivery systems
- Experience in designing, developing and characterizing nanoparticle based formulations in vitro and in vivo
- Proficiency with a broad spectrum of analytical techniques (i.e. particle size, fluorescent assays, HPLC/UPLC, etc…)
- Experience with mRNA, CRISPR systems, gene therapy highly desirable
- Action-oriented, team player, and highly motivated, with strong work ethic
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic, innovative environment
- Manage multiple projects concurrently and collaborate across disciplines
- Motivated and curious, experienced working with highly technical projects in a fast paced, entrepreneurial and technical setting
- Comfortable delivering against challenging commitments