VL50 Inc. is a privately held, early-stage biotechnology company with the mission to become the leader in cell biology. VL50 explores the broad and emerging role of nucleic acid modifications and leverages novel technologies to develop treatments across multiple disease areas.
VL50 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a team of entrepreneurial scientists that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has created over 75 groundbreaking companies that are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Moderna Therapeutics (MRNA), Seres Therapeutics (MCRB), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), Kaleido Biosciences (KLDO), and Indigo Agriculture. VL50 Inc. is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional scientist to join our team.
We are seeking motivated Computational Biologists/Scientist to join our team. Our ideal candidate will lead effort to use computational tools to expand our nucleic acid-based platform. You’ll be required to both think strategically and act tactically. In this role, you will be working with multiple functional groups across all company projects. Successful candidates should be scientifically motivated self-starters, comfortable working in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment and keen on modeling biological processes using rich datasets
- Responsible to lead the computational biology effort and build it from ground up.
- Responsible to improve and expand platform analysis capabilities.
- Analyze large data sets and translating findings into actionable experimental designs
- Deep understanding of RNA Biology (structure function, interactions) is required
- Responsible to support large data processing and analysis generated internally; planning and executing computational analysis for multiple project teams. Experience in developing analysis pipelines is desirable.
- Responsible to work with other disciplines such as IT to define infrastructure needs
- Generate and support generation of IP for core projects
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetic, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field
- Experience with RNA biology (translation, ncRNAs, RNA structure, RNA:Protein interactions)
- Experience with R, Python (programming and related computational packages (e.g. ggplot, Biopython, Shiny)
- Experience with Linux environment and shell scripting.
- Experience with next-generation sequence analysis and visualizations
- Experience with data management best practice is desirable
- Knowledge of various common large public datasets (e.g. TCGA, CCLE, DepMap, PDB, Open Targets)
- Action-oriented, team player, and highly motivated, with strong work ethic
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic, innovative environment
- Manage multiple projects concurrently and collaborate across disciplines
- Established track record in the RNA biology field.
- Experience with cell profiling
- Expertise in specialized RNA-centric NGS methods including Ribo-seq, RIP-seq, eCLIP and RNA chemical probing (e.g. SHAPE-MaP).
- Established track record in team/group leadership skills.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto