FL54 is a privately held, early stage biotechnology company creating an unprecedented drug discovery platform around transporter proteins to discover novel therapeutics. As the molecular gateways of our bodies, transporters are responsible for the flux of all biomolecules into and out of all cells and organelles. As a generally untapped but druggable class of proteins, transporters have been ignored because they are notoriously difficult to work with. FL54 is developing novel biological and technological solutions for transporter biology to treat a broad range of diseases.
FL54 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an institute dedicated to the origination and development of first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a Principal Scientist of Assay Development to join the team to build protein-based assays. The successful candidate is a confident leader with significant prior success in developing, validating, and implementing novel assays in the context of the biotechnology industry. This is an exciting and interdisciplinary role for a highly qualified and motivated individual. We are looking for an enthusiastic, innovative scientist with a passion for bringing novel medicines to patients. S(he) will be comfortable working in and contributing to a very dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The applicant will be part of a fast-paced drug discovery team.
- Develop, validate, and implement novel assays based on membrane proteins that can assess protein/small molecule binding and/or kinetics
- Scale up and implement high-throughput assays
- Work closely with protein group to assess protein production and QC for assay development
- Manage the scientific and operational aspects of the program(s), including implementation, development of program timelines, and monitoring of key milestones and decision points
- Build, lead and manage a high-performing group of talented scientists
- Perform research and development in collaboration with other functions in projects pertaining to a range of potential indications
- Communicate, as appropriate, efforts and progress to internal and external parties
- Ph.D. with 6+ years of relevant post-Ph.D. experience in Biotech/Pharma
- Demonstrated experience working with membrane proteins (transporters, ion channels, GPCRs)
- Broad expertise with multiple biophysical and biochemical assays. Additional experience with cell-based assays preferred
- Experience with designing, validating, and running high throughput chemical screens
- Expression and purification of membrane proteins is a plus
- Prior experience working with or leading collaborations with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations
- Experience in mentoring and/or leading Ph.D. level and non-Ph.D. level scientists
- Ability to organize and communicate complex data sets in a clear and concise manner to key stakeholders from diverse backgrounds
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.