Founded by Flagship Pioneering’s VentureLabs, Omega Therapeutics is a preclinical stage genomic medicine enterprise transforming medicine and patient care through precision genomic control. The company’s platform is focused on selectively directing the human genome to treat and cure disease by precisely controlling genomic expression without changing nucleic acid sequences.
Omega has created a platform and knowledge base that identifies Insulated Genomic Domains (IGDs) and their biological functions in both healthy and diseased states across cell types. IGDs function as the fundamental regulators, or GenomStats™, of the human genome. This scientific insight drives our discovery and development of genomic modulators called Omega Controllers™, which we engineer to precisely tune genomic activity to desired therapeutic levels without altering the human genetic code. We are developing precision therapeutics for a range of disease indications including rare genetic diseases, immunology, inflammation, metabolic diseases, and oncology.
Omega Therapeutics is a privately held, well-funded, early stage biotechnology company, backed by a strong leadership team and a first-class scientific advisory team, including Noubar Afeyan (Flagship Ventures), David Berry (Flagship Ventures), Richard Young (Whitehead Institute) and Rudolf Jaenisch (Whitehead Institute).
Omega Therapeutics is seeking an enthusiastic, innovative and highly motivated Discovery Project Team leader to join our Biology team to lead, develop and advance our therapeutic programs, from discovery to proof-of-concept and into preclinical and clinical development. We are looking for individuals with a passion for bringing novel medicines to patients. In addition, the candidate must be independent and motivated, with keen scientific curiosity coupled with the pragmatic can-do attitude and sense of urgency necessary to succeed in drug discovery and development. This role will be expected to efficiently lead and manage biology staff and Discovery Project teams, as well as effectively manage multiple projects. The candidate will be responsible and accountable for all aspects of planning and execution of projects, including target selection, project plans, assay and model development, in vitro and in vivo proof-of-concept and translational studies. The successful candidate must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Support the Head of Biology in building portfolio, identifying appropriate disease targets and models, and helping drive therapeutic programs forward through discovery and development
- Lead one or more of Omega’s therapeutic programs
- Develop methods to support therapeutic program and platform development
- Design and optimization of functional assays and development of preclinical model systems
- Design, execution, analysis, interpretation and documentation of in vitro and in vivo studies
- Develop and communicate experimental and strategic project plans to IND stage
- Perform analysis and communicate results and significance to scientific team, executive management
- Develop intellectual property, publish scientific articles and other tasks related to company’s business and scientific interests
- Lead, train and mentor teams of 2-4 scientific staff
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Genetics or a related field with 5+ years of relevant laboratory experience in a biotechnology industry drug discovery setting
- Experience in gene therapy/editing, epigenetic therapies or related area(s)
- Experience in metabolic disease, rare disease, hematological disorders, immunological and inflammatory disease, oncology, or neurodegenerative disease, regenerative medicine
- Excellent leadership capabilities in building and motivating successful teams, as well as building and managing productive academic and CRO-based research collaborations
- Very strong communication and collaboration skills
- Broad expertise in different molecular biology techniques, including but not restricted to mammalian tissue culture, construct design, cloning, transfection, transcription analysis, chromatin analysis, high-throughput analysis
- Experience with preclinical models of disease
- Experience in NGS techniques is strongly desirable
- Demonstrated ability in working with highly skilled teams in a fast-paced environment
- Highly adaptable and responsive to changing technical and business needs; comfortable prosecuting multiple priorities, troubleshooting and working with dynamic timelines
- Specific expertise in immunology, including preclinical models