Senda Biosciences, Inc. is a privately held, early-stage biotechnology company built out of Flagship Labs, the company creation unit of Flagship Pioneering. Senda is pioneering an innovative therapeutic delivery platform for precise, robust, versatile drug targeting, through both oral and systemic routes of administration, for a wide range of indications. We are seeking to hire an innovative and highly motivated Synthetic Biology Scientist to join us in developing a transformative delivery platform for precision targeting of therapeutics. As a member of this early team of scientists, you can expect to engage deeply in interdisciplinary research. Employees will enjoy a dynamic, rapidly expanding organization that will have a broad impact on human health. We offer a competitive starting salary and benefits.
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources and develops first-in-category life sciences companies. The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where Flagship's team of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas into new fields and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real- world inventions and ventures. These companies include, for instance, Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:SYRS), and Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ:RUBY). Flagship manages more than $2 billion in funds and, since 2000, the firm has applied its hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster over 75 scientific ventures, resulting in $19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
The Synthetic biologist will be primarily responsible for developing Senda's biological delivery tools utilizing diverse microbes. This individual will be a key member of Senda's dynamic, expanding, and collaborative team that combines significant experience in microbe-host interactions, drug delivery, gene editing, tissue engineering, and human health to unlock the potential of the company’s core technological platform.
Key responsibilities include:
- Design and execute experiments to validate Senda's technology platform
- Design, build, and test new microbial strains from various phylogenetic backgrounds
- Interpret biological insights to creatively troubleshoot and optimize engineered strains
- Develop molecular tools, assays, and pipelines to support a synthetic biology platform
- Work with leadership to develop and execute the scientific vision
- Mentor and potentially manage Research Associates
- PhD in biology, bioengineering, biomedical engineering, microbiology, chemical engineering, or a related discipline
- Success engineering novel microbial technologies from conception to application
- Deep experience with isothermal (Gibson) assembly, type 2S restriction (e.g., Golden Gate) and traditional methods of cloning, particularly for library or high-throughput applications
- Experience deploying genome engineering systems such as Lambda-RED and related allelic exchange approaches, CRISPR-based editing, conjugation and transduction
- Experience with assay development including reporters, biomolecular, and/or cell-based assays including western blots, ELISA, qPCR, fluorescent reporters for microscopy, plate readers, or flow cytometry
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated superb documentation
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment as a part of an interdisciplinary team
- Experience moving heterologous systems into model bacteria (e.g. E. coli) including refactoring approaches
- Experience with microbial metabolism, flux balance analysis and metabolic engineering
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.