Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate, Protein Engineering
Generate Biomedicines, Inc. is a Flagship backed, privately-held biotechnology company on a mission to reimagine the drug discovery process to one of dynamic, data-driven generation. We pursue this audacious vision because we believe in the unique and revolutionary power of generative biology to radically transform the lives of billions, with an outsized opportunity for patients in need. Generate will be successful by constantly turning innovative ideas into methods, technologies, and products that solve some of the most difficult challenges with developing medicines. We are seeking collaborative, relentless problem solvers that share our passion for impact to join us!
Generate was founded by Flagship Pioneering. Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $30 billion in aggregate value. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 37 transformative companies, including: Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Indigo Agriculture, and Sana Biotechnology.
We are seeking a motivated and talented Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate with experience in molecular biology and bioengineering to play a key role in the evaluation and development of Generate’s proprietary biomolecules. The successful candidate will work alongside our team of world-class scientists in a dynamic, fast-paced environment to both develop key components of the platform and validate our proprietary design capabilities to rapidly advance our technology.
- Design and construct DNA plasmids and libraries
- Execute high-throughput binding and functional assays to characterize candidate proteins and drive progress of Generate Biosciences programs
- Perform NGS sample preparation and sequencing
- Play a key role in the development of additional screening platforms
- Work independently to design, interpret and troubleshoot experiments and communicate results to the team
Experience and Qualifications
- B.S or M.S. in Molecular Biology, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biophysics or related field with at least 2 years biotech/pharma industry experience
- Proficiency with basic molecular biology techniques including PCR, cloning and library construction required
- Experience with phage or yeast display and protein engineering strongly preferred
- Experience with and flow cytometry and cell sorting preferred
- Familiarity with high-throughput screening and automation preferred
- Familiarity with protein expression and characterization techniques (SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, biochemical assays such as ELISA, etc.) preferred
- Familiarity with computational and statistical analysis tools can be helpful
- Ability to work independently to design experiments, interpret data and troubleshoot problems
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and strong communication skills are required
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.