FL60 is the the latest Flagship Pioneering company has been founded through its venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics, Rubius Therapeutics, and Evelo Therapeutics were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $19+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
FL60 is dedicated to turning causal human genetics and biology into new, differentiated disease modifying therapies to improve the lives of patients across a broad range of complex diseases.
We are seeking a creative, motivated data engineer/data architect driven to work with computational biologists, geneticists and wet-lab biologists to build software and storage systems to enable the discovery of the biological mechanisms of health and disease. The position provides cross-functional development and support for data collection, integration and analysis for internally and externally generated data. This will encompass data strategies that impact target validation and early discovery research, improved patient selection and robust, predictive, imaging and digital end points. The individual will serve as the lead designer and implementer of data solutions and expose the company to innovative technologies and systems that will help it achieve its goals.
As a key member of the scientific team, this lead architect will:
- Design, build and support a comprehensive, cloud-based data management infrastructure that enables the scientific goals of the business
- Rapidly create targeted solutions to pressing problems
- Integrate commercial, open source and purpose-built components
- Integrate data from a variety of internal and external sources
- Build strong relationships across discovery biology and computational biology and data science
- Manage any necessary license agreements, maintenance and support contracts, and any managed service relationships for the team
- Provide technical leadership and engineering for software development projects on diverse platforms
- Master’s degree in Bioinformatics, Informatics, Computer Science, Data Science or other related discipline
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in research informatics, supporting in one of the core drug discovery scientific disciplines (chemistry, biology, and clinical).
- Demonstrated impact designing and implementing scientific information systems in a drug discovery setting.
- History of independently solving difficult problems, troubleshooting common research informatics problems, and proposing solutions related to informatics
- Experience working with external vendors and CROs
- Demonstrated experience managing cloud-based software solutions, including electronic laboratory notebooks, laboratory information management solutions, and high-performance computing.
- History of working in a cross-functional environment
- Experience working in a fast paced and rapidly growing organization
- Expertise in problem decomposition and solution delivery using modern SDLC methodologies
- Proficient with cloud development (AWS preferred)
- Results oriented: A willingness to use the right technique for the experiment, even if it’s an unfamiliar one.
- Communication: outstanding written and verbal communication skills, ability to work well with colleagues from diverse scientific backgrounds and cultures.
Success in 6-12 months
- Help to define and shape the core systems used by wet- and dry-labs to track research data
- Help to establish a strong data culture that ensures high quality data are captured and organized in a predictable way
- Assess and deliver on a first phase of scientific data processing and management systems, designed to simplify data integration and maximize data value, while being capable of scaling to massive size
- Establish DevOps foundation for software development in the company, including, source control systems, infrastructure as code standards, secure code practices, etc