FVL59, Inc. is a privately held, well-funded, early-stage biotechnology company leveraging novel insights in RNA biology from its proprietary platform to identify novel disease targets and develop new therapeutic modalities. FVL59 is developing new therapeutic strategies to treat or cure a range of diseases including rare genetic disease, neurological disease, and oncology.
FVL59, Inc. was founded by Flagship Pioneering in the Flagship Labs innovation foundry, where companies such as Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT), Sana Biotechnology, and Indigo Agriculture were conceived and created. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in $19+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and 50+ clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a Scientist or Senior Scientist in oligonucleotide chemistry to join our passionate team of scientists. You will take an active role in helping to shape a therapeutic platform addressing novel RNA biology based on established and new modalities. You will design and synthesize oligonucleotides, working alongside biologists, to advance therapeutic programs and develop our new therapeutic modality approaches. You will also have the opportunity to build a state-of-the-art design-synthesize-test ASO platform. Strong background in oligonucleotide chemistry combined with a deep understanding of design principles is required.
Successful candidates will be self-starters, able to thrive in a fast-paced, action-oriented, team environment and display a clear passion for science and impact. The individual will have demonstrated evidence of agility and nimbleness to progress scientific discoveries, and an overt attitude of positivity when facing challenges. He/She will be dedicated to develop and grow outside his/her comfort zone by constantly learning.
- Play a key role in advancing our therapeutic programs (discovery through early clinical) and new modality development
- Design Synthesize/Purify/Analyze antisense oligonucleotides applying modern ASOs modifications
- Develop lab infrastructure related to oligonucleotide synthesis, analysis and purification
- Analyze, interpret, SAR data to optimize ASOs for cellular and in vivo efficacy and safety
- Work with CROs for scale up outsourcing and to complement in house capabilities
- Organize data to prepare clearly articulated experimental reports and communicate the results of the projects at internal meetings
- Maintain scientific and technical expertise through familiarity with scientific literature, attending conferences, and developing relationships with thought leaders
- Work closely with an entrepreneurial, highly-collaborative, interdisciplinary team and actively contribute to creating, shaping and executing the scientific and strategic vision of the company
- Ph.D. in organic chemistry and/or medicinal chemistry in the field of oligonucleotides
- Postdoctoral training in organic chemistry / medicinal chemistry or chemical biology complementing the PhD work
- 2+ years industry experience
- Demonstrated track record of achievement, as evidenced by patents, publications in high impact journals or significant contribution to drug discovery projects
- Strong laboratory skills in synthesis, purification, and characterization of oligonucleotides
- Expertise in chemistry of nucleosides and nucleotides, nucleic acid modifications, and delivery of oligonucleotides
- A strong self-starter, independent thinker, with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner.
- Confident execution focused, team-oriented with an ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment
- Experience in organic/medicinal chemistry beyond oligonucleotide chemistry is a plus
- Expertise in the field of RNA biology or chromatin biology is an advantage
RECRUITING & STAFFING AGENCIES: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.