Flagship Pioneering, Inc. is an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship VentureLabs®, is where Flagship's team of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas into new fields and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world inventions and ventures. Flagship manages more than $1.75 billion in funds and, since 2000, the firm has applied its hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster nearly 75 scientific ventures, resulting in $19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MCRB), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
Flagship Pioneering is seeking an experienced and talented finance professional to join a first-in-category organization. The successful candidate will be a hands-on senior finance professional, and systems-thinker to take a Flagship start-up portfolio company to the next level. The Head of Finance will be a key member of the management team and a strategic finance business partner. This position will be responsible to implement policies and process to enable exponential growth of the company in addition to the day to day financial operations of the company including; month end closes, cash flow management, planning and budgeting, office administration and technology.
- Partner with the business to understand critical elements and the impact of financial decisions
- Create, maintain, and track budget and forecasts
- Manage cash flow vs financing needs and strategic milestones
- Board of Directors financial presentations and corporate governance
- Month end closes and reporting
- Build finance team to support accounts payable and payroll
- Oversee the management of lease, contracts, consulting agreements, and other financial commitments
- Continually evaluate and drive improvements across finance operations
- Advise Senior Management Teams on financial matters whenever needed
- Ad-Hoc Reporting and Analysis
- 10+ years of financial and accounting experience in the life sciences / biotechnology industry.
- BS/BA in accounting or finance; MBA and/or CPA preferred
- Strong business acumen; proven ability to effectively scrutinize and challenge assumptions and interpret the strategy and priorities of the organization in financial terms
- Excellent project management / leadership skills with demonstrated track record and ability to engage teams to work together towards common deadlines.
- Strong presentation skills to deliver succinctly and effectively deliver recommendations to senior leaders; frames complex concepts
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing conditions and different culture
- Exceptional attitude, attention to detail and ability to motivate teams to do the same
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross functional team members and with external partners.
- Ability to work within and meet all deadlines while executing on multiple deliverables.
- Flexible, personable team-player, comfortable in a fast-paced, small company environment.
- Proven ability to set and meet ambitious deadlines, handle numerous multifaceted financial matters and see projects through to conclusion.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with both scientists and management.
- Ability to distill complexity and to communicate decisively with sound judgment.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.