Senior/Principal Scientist, Oncology
Generate Biomedicines, Inc. is a Flagship backed, privately-held biotechnology company on a mission to reimagine the drug discovery process to one of dynamic, data-driven generation. We pursue this audacious vision because we believe in the unique and revolutionary power of generative biology to radically transform the lives of billions, with an outsized opportunity for patients in need. Generate will be successful by constantly turning innovative ideas into methods, technologies, and products that solve some of the most difficult challenges with developing medicines. We are seeking collaborative, relentless problem solvers that share our passion for impact to join us!
Generate was founded by Flagship Pioneering. Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $30 billion in aggregate value. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 37 transformative companies, including: Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Indigo Agriculture, and Sana Biotechnology.
Generate is seeking to expand the Research & Development team by recruiting a talented Oncologist to play a leading role in the development of the Oncology/Immuno-oncology program. This position will be responsible for assay development and design of experimental approaches to assess Generates' proprietary biomolecules, as well as to help guide and develop the overall strategic approach of the Oncology group. The successful candidate will work alongside our team of world-class scientists in a dynamic, fast-paced environment to both develop key components of the platform and validate our proprietary design capabilities to rapidly advance our technology. A successful candidate should be able to demonstrate both an aptitude to immediately contribute in the lab and support the pipeline development of novel biologics in the oncology and immuno-oncology therapeutic space. We are searching for an enthusiastic, innovative, well-organized and highly-motivated individual who is comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Generate hypotheses and design experimental plans to validate and further define the role of the properties of Generate's proprietary biomolecules in vitro and in vivo
- Develop a pipeline of novel biologics in the oncology and immuno-oncology therapeutic space
- Execute experiments, generate robust data packages, perform incisive analysis and communicate data to scientific team and executive management to achieve company objectives
- Collaborate with experienced team members in the Generation Engine and Protein Engineering functions to further understand the biology around the targets and progress drug discovery efforts
- Assist with establishment and expansion of internal wet lab capabilities and relationships with external CROs and collaborators to drive projects from discovery to clinical entry
- Help to develop the scientific strategy of the oncology group and identify new opportunities for machine learning in oncology/immuno-oncology
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge on current literature and advances in the field of oncology/immuno-oncology
Experience and Qualifications
- Ph.D. in Immunology, oncology or related field with 5+ years of laboratory experience from the biotech/pharma industry and/or academic setting
- Deep technical expertise and master of associated lab techniques; strong experience with protein-based immunotherapies, molecular biology, preclinical cancer models, immunological techniques and signal transduction pathways
- Familiarity with computational and/or protein engineering techniques a plus
- Ability to parallel process multiple projects and modalities and support the growing portfolio
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to communicate results and biologic concepts clearly to others not familiar with the field to allow for collaboration
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Ability to work independently as well as to collaborate with peers
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.