Company: Generate Biomedicines
TITLE: Sr./Scientist, Protein Sciences
LOCATION: Cambridge, MA
Generate Biomedicines, Inc. is a Flagship backed, privately-held biotechnology company on a mission to reimagine the drug discovery process to one of dynamic, data-driven generation. We pursue this audacious vision because we believe in the unique and revolutionary power of generative biology to radically transform the lives of billions, with an outsized opportunity for patients in need. Generate will be successful by constantly turning innovative ideas into methods, technologies, and products that solve some of the most difficult challenges with developing medicines. We are seeking collaborative, relentless problem solvers that share our passion for impact to join us!
Generate was founded by Flagship Pioneering. Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $30 billion in aggregate value. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 37 transformative companies, including: Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Indigo Agriculture, and Sana Biotechnology.
Generate is seeking a Senior Scientist/Scientist to contribute to the build out and development of its high-throughput protein production platform; encompassing protein expression and purification capabilities across a variety of mammalian and microbial expression systems for a variety of diverse protein therapeutics, such as monoclonal antibodies, fusion proteins, enzymes and peptides. The candidate will work alongside a team of scientists to develop and optimize protein production and purification to enable multiple therapeutic discovery efforts.
We are looking for an individual with a track record of accomplishments in platform building, with specific experience in developing protein production capabilities; ranging from high-throughput protein expression at small scale to protein production at mid-scale to enable preclinical studies. We are seeking an enthusiastic, innovative, well-organized and highly motivated individual who is comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Develop and implement strategies for rapid expression and purification of proteins across bacterial, yeast and mammalian systems from cloning to purified to quantified protein; including scale-up to automated production methods
- Deliver on protein production needs from small scale in vitro screening to studies in preclinical animal models
- Develop methodologies to increase robustness and quality control across cloning, expression, purification and quantification for diverse protein systems
- Develop and implement methods to perform standard analytical assays (CD, thermostability, etc.) on every protein produced by the platform
- Work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders, ensure output of protein production systems is fit-for-purpose and meets agreed upon expectations
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of cross-company informatics infrastructure to track produced protein and associated assay data
- PhD. in chemical engineering or a relevant area of biological sciences with 5-7 years industry experience
- Strong background in high-throughput and mid-scale production of protein therapeutics using standard expression systems
- Preferred expertise in automated platforms for protein expression and purification, including analytics and robotics equipment
- Familiarity with characterization and release of proteins for preclinical studies
- Capable of prioritizing and working on multiple projects, and able to execute to timelines that meet company goals
- Keen attention to detail with a strong sense of urgency and ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and team-focused environment
- Excellent communicator, with the ability to clearly convey messages and decision making to diverse audiences
- Confident, execution-oriented and with a bias for action