Company: Generate Biomedicines
TITLE: Associate Director/Director, Protein Sciences
LOCATION: Cambridge, MA
Generate Biomedicines, Inc. is a Flagship backed, privately-held biotechnology company on a mission to reimagine the drug discovery process to one of dynamic, data-driven generation. We pursue this audacious vision because we believe in the unique and revolutionary power of generative biology to radically transform the lives of billions, with an outsized opportunity for patients in need. Generate will be successful by constantly turning innovative ideas into methods, technologies, and products that solve some of the most difficult challenges with developing medicines. We are seeking collaborative, relentless problem solvers that share our passion for impact to join us!
Generate was founded by Flagship Pioneering. Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $30 billion in aggregate value. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 37 transformative companies, including: Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Indigo Agriculture, and Sana Biotechnology.
We are looking for an individual with a track record of accomplishments in developing protein production capabilities, ranging from high-throughput protein expression at small scale to protein production at mid-scale to enable preclinical studies. We are seeking an enthusiastic, innovative, well-organized and highly motivated individual who is comfortable working in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Develop and implement strategies for rapid expression and purification of proteins across bacterial, yeast, and mammalian systems from cloning to purified and quantified protein
- Deliver on protein production needs from small scale in vitro screening to studies in preclinical models
- Develop methodologies to increase robustness and quality control across cloning, expression, purification, and quantification for diverse protein systems
- Work collaboratively multiple stakeholders, ensure output of protein production system is fit-for-purpose and meets agreed expectations
- PhD. in chemical engineering or a relevant area of biological science with 7-10 years of industry experience
- Strong background in high throughput and mid-scale protein therapeutics production using standard expression systems
- Preferred expertise in automated platforms for protein expression and purification, including analytics and robotics equipment
- Expertise in characterization and release of proteins for preclinical studies
- Experience in direct management of small to mid-sized teams preferred
- Capable of prioritizing and working on multiple project, and able to execute to timelines that meet company goals
- Keen attention to detail with a strong sense of urgency and ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and team-focused environment