Founded by Flagship Pioneering’s VentureLabs, Omega Therapeutics is a preclinical stage genomic medicine enterprise transforming medicine and patient care through precision genomic control. The company’s platform is focused on selectively directing the human genome to treat and cure disease by precisely controlling genomic expression without changing nucleic acid sequences.
Omega has created a platform and knowledge base that identifies Insulated Genomic Domains (IGDs) and their biological functions in both healthy and diseased states across cell types. IGDs function as the fundamental regulators, or GenomStats™, of the human genome. This scientific insight drives our discovery and development of genomic modulators called Omega Controllers™, which we engineer to precisely tune genomic activity to desired therapeutic levels without altering the human genetic code. We are developing precision therapeutics for a range of disease indications including rare genetic diseases, immunology, inflammation, metabolic diseases, and oncology.
Omega Therapeutics is a privately held, well-funded, early stage biotechnology company, backed by a strong leadership team and a first-class scientific advisory team, including Noubar Afeyan (Flagship Ventures), David Berry (Flagship Ventures), Richard Young (Whitehead Institute) and Rudolf Jaenisch (Whitehead Institute).
Omega Therapeutics is seeking a Vice President, Discovery Biology, to lead a drug discovery team, to rapidly advance our programs from concept to development candidate and beyond. The ideal candidate will be independent, motivated, and work with a sense of urgency. She or he will efficiently lead staff and project teams, ensure efficient, parallel progression of multiple projects, while mentoring the next generation of drug discovery and development leaders at Omega. We are searching for enthusiastic, innovative, and self-motivated individuals who are comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Create and lead the development of Omega’s Discovery Biology function; setting research strategy, leading target selection and evaluation, identifying and appropriate disease models; helping envision, implement and rapidly drive therapeutic programs forward through R&D
- Manage and lead a team of 8-10 scientists while also mentoring project leaders, comfortably operating in a team-first environment
- Thoroughly understand corporate objectives to align project plans and priorities
- Provide direction surrounding discovery cascades, leading the execution of multiple projects in parallel
- Manage and lead project research plans and discovery cascades, related assay development, in vitro proof-of-concept, in vivo translational studies, data analysis, interpretation, reporting, communicating progress to executive management, Board of Directors and external partners
- PhD or equivalent in biological sciences with significant experience advancing drug discovery projects into development in a pharmaceutical or biotech environment.
- Commitment to identifying simple, critical path discovery cascades and creating scalable, high quality experimental systems that can translate throughout a program’s lifecycle
- Experience in metabolic and liver disease, rare disease, hematological and immune disorders, inflammatory disease, oncology, neuromuscular or neurodegenerative disease with proven success and contribution to the field
- Excellent leadership capabilities with at least five years biotech/biopharma industry experience in guiding and motivating successful teams, as well as building and managing productive research collaborations
- Very strong communication and partnering skills
- Deep knowledge of chromatin and DNA/RNA biology, epigenetics and gene therapy/gene editing, including viral and non-viral delivery modalities, and advanced sequencing technologies
- Experience in Research and early Development for biologics, nucleic acids macromolecules, advanced therapeutics, and cellular model systems
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.