Generate Biomedicines, Inc. is a privately-held biotechnology company that is pioneering Machine Generation™ of biotherapeutics. Generate has developed a proprietary multi-product Generative Biology Engine that uses machine learning and other proprietary technologies to generate potent protein therapeutics that offer important treatment benefits to patients suffering from disease across multiple therapeutic areas.
Generate Biomedicines was founded by Flagship Pioneering in the Flagship Labs innovation foundry. Flagship Pioneering creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability. Flagship has created over 100 groundbreaking companies since 2000, including Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Indigo Agriculture, and Sana Biotechnology. Flagship manages more than $1.75 billion in funds and since 2000 the firm has applied its hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster companies with an aggregate value of $19 billion, 500+ issued patents and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Generate Biomedicines is seeking a highly creative Vice President of Protein Sciences to join the management team. In this newly created role, the candidate will create and articulate an ambitious scientific vision and strategy for Generates’ Protein Sciences department. The ideal candidate operates comfortably in a pioneering environment and has had senior level scientific/technical responsibility with substantial experience in the successful discovery and development of protein therapeutics across many biologics modalities, such as monoclonal antibodies, fusion proteins, cytokines, peptides and enzymes. The candidate has an established level of respect and credibility in the research and development communities.
This executive must have a thorough understanding of all the requirements and processes needed in drug development from target identification through discovery and into clinical development. S(he) must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with highly developed leadership and team building skills. Affinity for novel scientific technologies leading to the discovery of new medicines that address unmet medical needs is essential.
- Develop a vision for establishing a world-class protein sciences department that is designed to unlock to full potential of machine learning-enabled protein engineering;
- Develop and execute a strategy for effective high throughput construction, expression and screening of protein-based libraries using mammalian, bacterial and yeast expression systems;
- Build capabilities to generate high throughput protein expression, purification, characterization and functional data that inform Generate’s machine learning models;
- Oversee the production and deep characterization of initial leads, optimized leads and clinical candidates;
- Lead technological innovations to drive continual improvements and optimization of Generate’s platform enabling continued success as the organization scales;
- Recruit, motivate and develop a world class, highly innovative protein sciences organization; establish a culture that promotes creativity, open communication and collegiality; one in which projects are run in a cost-effective manner with a sense of urgency that is recognized by all;
- Define the company’s research and development infrastructure with a particular focus on platform technologies, facilities, laboratories and internal capabilities;
- Support the continued protection, creation and expansion of the company’s intellectual property;
- Represent the company with scientific agencies, globally addressing the scientific aspects of the company’s research and product development; building world-class Scientific Advisory Committees;
- Responsible for effectively managing a cost budget and delivering results based on predetermined performance goals;
- Present to the company’s Board of Directors, Scientific Advisory Board and external stakeholders.
- At least 15 years of combined R&D experience from the biotech/biopharmaceutical industry and world-class academic institutions with demonstrated career growth and experience gained in leading mid-sized to large R&D organizations.
- An advanced degree, preferably Ph.D, and a history of publication in a relevant scientific field, such as molecular biology, protein engineering, HTP protein expression and screening, automation and/or protein structure/function and characterization
- Excellence in protein sciences demonstrated by a successful track record in overseeing multiple programs, ideally from target ID/early discovery through early clinical development.
- The candidate has preferably successfully built or overseen automated high throughput systems for screening of protein-based libraries and has preferably managed protein production and/or characterization groups;
- Well-developed executive skills demonstrating sound business judgment, the willingness to seek and incorporate other perspectives, balance alternatives, the courage to make decisions based on incomplete information, establish priorities and apply resources effectively;
- Strong external presence and an ability to create and communicate a strong research vision and strategy in a compelling and inspirational manner to a range of audiences, both internally and externally.
- Inspires teams by being intellectually and scientifically curious, is extremely scientifically rigorous and creative and creates an environment where imaginative and constructive dialog can flourish, conflict is well-managed and complex issues are driven to full resolution;
- Demonstrated success in attracting world-class scientific talent.
- Working knowledge of the regulatory requirements for the development and approval of protein therapeutics.
- A problem solver and integrator who can contemplate complex scientific objectives, set priorities, and formulate creative approaches and solutions by gaining knowledge and insight from the best and most relevant sources.
- Ability to operate effectively in a fast-moving, entrepreneurial, science-driven and dynamic team environment.
- Strong execution skills; operates with a high level of enthusiasm and integrity.
- A solid record of developing and maintaining relationships with key academic leaders and investigators in relevant scientific and therapeutic fields.