Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing to cure disease. Our genome is a mosaic comprising genes that protect us from, predispose us to, and cause disease. Gene Editing biotechnologies heralded the era of genome-modifying medicines, but they cannot address most diseases. Gene Writing is a new biotechnology that writes therapeutic messages into the genome to cure thousands of diseases at their source.
The successful candidate will bring passion, computational biology and bioinformatics expertise into a company pioneering a new type of genome engineering called Gene Writing. This person will be responsible enabling both the data-driven and data-centric activities that are at the core of advancing Tessera’s science.
- Build and lead a 5+ person computational biology team, including recruiting and development of junior staff
- Invent and oversee bioinformatic discovery using complex genomic data, including high throughput sequencing data from multiple platforms and databases
- Develop computational methods and provide project support to Gene Writing project teams
- Operationalize the data analysis aspects of molecular assays to maximize the design, build, test cycle for platform and pipeline candidates
- Provide leadership by coordinating analysis activities across the organization
- Create compelling data visualizations for internal and external presentations
- Structure and store data to enable data reuse, data mining and machine learning
- Facilitate collaboration with a machine learning team
- Establish and oversee external analysis projects with collaborators and contract research organizations
- Serve as part of the broader leadership team in setting goals, strategy, budgets, and evaluating project progress
- Monitor and evaluate new and emerging analytical technologies, and identify opportunities for collaboration within Flagship Pioneering companies, academia, and third parties.
Basic Technical Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in quantitative discipline or comparable experience: Bioinformatics, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Biophysics, Computational Biology, Physics, Engineering or Machine Learning. Candidates with M.S. degree in above-named fields with extensive (at least 10 years) work experience will also be considered.
- A proven computational biologist or bioinformatician with 8+ years of industry experience in discovery research or translational medicine
- Experience analyzing gene therapy, gene editing, in vitro/vivo assay, genetics, genomics and cell biology data
- Experience analyzing the multiple facets of next generation sequencing data, including amplicon sequencing, tag counting, exon sequencing
- Experience using comparative genomics as a tool for gene discovery
- Strong grounding in biology or medicine
- Strong data visualization skills and experience
- Fluency in one or more programming languages with bioinformatics applications (e.g. R/Bioconductor, Python, Perl).
- Fluency with the full stack AWS environment
Basic Interpersonal Qualifications:
- Experience building and managing a team of analysts and/or computational biologists
- Experience navigating the “bi-lingual” nature of data analysis and science
- Outstanding teamwork, communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven contributions to cross-functional project teams
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary environment
- The ability to effectively influence the work of others
Preferred Qualifications, if you have these it would be a plus:
- Therapeutic expertise in oncology, immunologically-based or rare genetic diseases
- Experience analyzing large scale oncology data
- Experience with single cell sequencing data and/or other single cell technologies
- Analysis experience with imaging and other profiling technologies
- Experience analyzing high throughput screening data for drug or target discovery
- Experience with other scripting tools or languages such as Matlab, Java and databases (e.g., MongoDB, MySQL)
- Experience contributing scientific background and supporting data for patents and IND filings