FVL59, Inc. is a privately held, well-funded, early-stage biotechnology company leveraging novel insights in RNA biology from its proprietary platform to identify novel disease targets and develop new therapeutic modalities. FVL59 is developing new therapeutic strategies to treat or cure a range of diseases including rare genetic disease, neurological disease, and oncology.
FVL59, Inc. was founded by Flagship Pioneering in the Flagship Labs innovation foundry, where companies such as Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT), Sana Biotechnology, and Indigo Agriculture were conceived and created. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in $19+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and 50+ clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a Scientist or Senior Scientist in Computational Biology to join our passionate team of scientists. You will tackle computational challenges to uncover new insights about RNA biology and the molecular underpinnings of disease. Working alongside experimentalists, you will analyze next generation sequencing and imaging data generated by our first-in-class technology platform. Your role will involve aspects of data management/infrastructure, computational biology, machine learning, and business strategy.
Successful candidates will be self-starters, able to thrive in a fast-paced, action-oriented, team environment and display a clear passion for science and impact. The individual will have demonstrated evidence of agility and nimbleness to progress scientific discoveries, and an overt attitude of positivity when facing challenges. He/She will be dedicated to develop and grow outside his/her comfort zone by constantly learning.
- Build and advance our computational platform with the goal discovering new disease biology, advancing our therapeutic programs, and developing new modalities.
- Create and improve computational methods to extract insights and answer biological questions through application of advanced statistical or machine learning techniques and integration of proprietary RNA biology data set with multi-omic datasets (epigenomics, transcriptomics, single cells genomics, etc…)
- Actively participate in establishing new experimental techniques by working closely with an entrepreneurial, highly-collaborative, interdisciplinary R&D team on experimental design & analysis
- Maintain scientific and technical expertise through familiarity with scientific literature, attending conferences, and building relationships with thought leaders
- Cultivate a data-centric company philosophy by establishing and implementing best practices for data and software management
- Actively contribute to creating, shaping and executing the scientific and strategic vision of the company
- A PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field
- 2+ years industry experience or post doctoral training preferred
- Deep understanding of statistics or machine learning, especially as it relates modeling biological processes using next-generation sequencing data
- Strong programming skills in a scripting language such as Python or R
- Proficiency in creating reproducible workflows with an emphasis on Unix, Git, Jupyter or RMarkdown, and cloud computing environments such as Amazon Web Services
- Demonstrated track record of achievement, as evidenced by patents, publications in high impact journals or significant contribution to drug discovery or computational projects
- A strong self-starter, independent thinker, with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner.
- Confident, execution focused, team-oriented with an ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment
- Expertise in the field of RNA biology or chromatin biology is preferred
- Experience in creating dashboards or other utilities to allow biologists to investigate data independently is preferred
RECRUITING & STAFFING AGENCIES: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.