Research Associate / Sr Research Associate, Protein Engineering
LOCATION: Cambridge, MA
Generate Biomedicines, Inc. is a Flagship backed, privately-held biotechnology company on a mission to reimagine the drug discovery process to one of dynamic, data-driven generation. We pursue this audacious vision because we believe in the unique and revolutionary power of generative biology to radically transform the lives of billions, with an outsized opportunity for patients in need. Generate will be successful by constantly turning innovative ideas into methods, technologies, and products that solve some of the most difficult challenges with developing medicines. We are seeking collaborative, relentless problem solvers that share our passion for impact to join us!
Generate was founded by Flagship Pioneering. Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $30 billion in aggregate value. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 37 transformative companies, including: Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Indigo Agriculture, and Sana Biotechnology.
Generate Biomedicines is seeking a motivated and talented Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate with experience in molecular biology and protein engineering to play a key role in both generating data to inform Generate’s machine learning models and characterizing candidate proteins to drive progress of Generate’s therapeutic programs. The successful candidate will work alongside our team of world-class scientists in a dynamic, fast-paced environment to both develop key components of our protein engineering platform and validate our proprietary computational design and machine learning capabilities.
- Construct DNA plasmids and libraries of protein variants
- Perform high-throughput screening and characterization of candidate proteins
- Contribute to NGS sample preparation and sequencing
- Play a key role in the development of additional screening platforms
- Work independently to design, interpret and troubleshoot experiments and communicate results to the team
- B.S or M.S. in Molecular Biology, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biophysics or related field with at least 2 years biotech/pharma industry experience
- Proficiency with molecular biology techniques including PCR, cloning, and DNA purification required
- Experience with phage or yeast display and antibody engineering strongly preferred
- Experience with protein characterization techniques (ELISA, western blot, SPR, BLI, flow cytometry) preferred
- Familiarity with high-throughput screening and automation beneficial
- Ability to work independently to design experiments, interpret data and troubleshoot problems
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and strong communication skills
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.