Scientist, Protein Engineering, Generate Biomedicines
LOCATION: Cambridge, MA
Generate Biomedicines, Inc. is a Flagship backed, privately-held biotechnology company on a mission to reimagine the drug discovery process to one of dynamic, data-driven generation. We pursue this audacious vision because we believe in the unique and revolutionary power of generative biology to radically transform the lives of billions, with an outsized opportunity for patients in need. Generate will be successful by constantly turning innovative ideas into methods, technologies, and products that solve some of the most difficult challenges with developing medicines. We are seeking collaborative, relentless problem solvers that share our passion for impact to join us!
Generate was founded by Flagship Pioneering. Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $30 billion in aggregate value. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 37 transformative companies, including: Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Indigo Agriculture, and Sana Biotechnology.
Generate Biomedicines is seeking a motivated and talented Scientist with experience in protein engineering to play a key role building new screening workflows to enable both data generation for Generate’s machine learning models and characterization of candidate proteins to drive progress of Generate’s therapeutic programs. The successful candidate will work alongside our team of world-class scientists in a dynamic, fast-paced environment to both develop key components of our protein engineering platform and validate our proprietary computational design and machine learning capabilities.
- Develop high-throughput screening platform to generate sequence-function information for libraries of protein variants
- Perform DNA cloning and library construction
- Prepare samples for NGS analysis
- Collaborate with computational biology team to analyze and interpret sequencing results
- Ph.D. in biochemistry, biophysics, structural biology, bioengineering, or related field; B.S./M.S. with at least 5 years relevant industry experience
- Expertise in protein engineering techniques such as library design and construction, mutagenesis, phage or yeast display
- Demonstrated ability for platform and technology development
- Knowledge of protein characterization techniques (ELISA, SPR, BLI, flow cytometry)
- Familiarity with structural analysis tools such as PYMOL and basic scripting for data analysis beneficial
- Prior experience with laboratory automation preferred
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and strong communication skills
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.