From Fivetran’s founding until now, our mission has remained the same: to make access to data as simple and reliable as electricity. With Fivetran, customer data arrives in their warehouses, canonical and ready to query, with no engineering or maintenance required. We’re proud that more organizations continue to leverage our technology every day to become truly data-driven.
The Professional Services team at Fivetran is growing and you have the opportunity to join a function that is building from the ground up. The approaches, methodologies, working practices and team culture that we put in place now will be the template for what is to come, so if you are excited about having a hand in steering the approach of a critical function within the organization then this may be the role for you!
About the Role
Fivetran’s goal is to make access to data as simple and reliable as electricity; to this end, our Engineering team builds Connectors that can be used out-of-the-box for over 190 applications, removing the burden from our customers of having to write and maintain code. However, there will always be sources of data for which Fivetran does not provide a native Connector.
As a Data Engineer in the Professional Services team at Fivetran you will be responsible for developing custom functions that integrate with those sources, both from scratch and also using Fivetran’s code interpretation application.
Working directly with customer stakeholders, you will define questions that our customers want answers to and use data to provide those answers. All sources of data are different, so your role will include analysing source API documentation in order to understand what data can be retrieved from which endpoint, how objects relate to one another and using this information to construct Entity Relationship Diagrams for the data that customers require to generate insights and drive business decisions.
You will be comfortable with a scripting language, have developed proprietary data pipelines in the past and have worked extensively with 3rd-party REST APIs.
Whilst Fivetran will offer short-term maintenance for deployed code, our goal is not to maintain responsibility for the functions we develop. An essential part of the role of the Data Engineer will therefore be enabling customers to take responsibility for your code once it has been tested and is ready for deployment into a Production environment. To this end, you should feel comfortable in producing enablement collateral and training teams to adopt code that isn't theirs.
Technologies You’ll Use
- A scripting language supported by AWS, Google or Azure functions
- AWS, GCP or Azure environments and services
- 3rd-party REST APIs
What You’ll Do
- Work with customers to define analytics use-cases
- Analyse REST API documentation to inform development decisions
- Construct high-level Entity Relationship Diagrams to reflect customer data requirements & to reflect how your function will land that data
- Develop custom functions to ingest data from sources for which Fivetran does not provide a native Connector
- Ensure non-functional requirements are defined and that your delivered code meets those requirements
- Produce enablement and training collateral to ensure our customers can take responsibility for your code
Skills We’re Looking For
- Applied knowledge of a scripting language in a data engineering context
- Experience with serverless computing (AWS Lambda, Google Cloud Functions or Azure Functions)
- Experience writing production code, as well as debugging and deciphering code written by others
- Experience with CI/CD tools, predominantly the git suite
- Strong prioritisation and organisational skills
- Python experience as your scripting language of choice
- Data modeling experience
Perks and Benefits
- Dental, and Health Insurance Benefits
- Life Insurance and Income protection and Retirement savings plan
- Equity in early-stage, Series D Scale-up
- A healthy work culture with excellent opportunities for professional and personal development.
- Working from home equipment stipend
- Family Leave Program
- Company happy hours and virtual Team building events
- Social/ Wellness/ Volunteer activities
We’re honored to be valued at over $5.6 billion, but more importantly, we’re proud of our core values of Get Stuck In, Do the Right Thing, and One Team, One Dream.
Fivetran brings together high-quality talent across the globe to make data access as easy and reliable as electricity for our customers. We value and recognize that our customers benefit from having innovative teams made of people from many backgrounds, experiences and identities. Fivetran promotes diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging through attracting, recruiting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce, not only because it is the right thing to do, but because it helps us build a world-class company to better serve our customers, our people and our communities.
To learn more about Fivetran’s culture and what it’s like to be part of the team, click here and enjoy our video.