Fivetran is looking for an ambitious, accomplished, and independent Staff R&D Software Engineer who will make a big impact at a fast-growing company. You will play a vital role in Fivetran’s growth by innovating our core platform and building novel features for our data pipeline service. We are passionate about technology, innovation, continuous learning and about building our platform on solid engineering principles. Fivetran fills an important niche in the data industry that includes data warehouses, data lakes, BI tools, and data science: all of these depend on data pipelines. The Staff R&D engineer understands how important it is to see the larger picture, understand industry and technology trends, and how our customers use the product. This role will report to the CTO’s office.
Fivetran is the epitome of data-driven-development — our engineering team is laser-focused on building a world-class product that:
Facilitates Data Analytics — our mission is to reliably deliver best-in-class schemas, and clean data, designed to be intuitively useful to analysts.
Contributes to our Community — we’re developing tools like Data Lakes, dbt-based Transformations, and schema explorers to empower analysts to choose the best tools and to make those tools more powerful.
Is Absolutely Dependable — we’re working to make Fivetran the most reliable and secure component of our customers’ data infrastructure.
We emphasize using no-nonsense tools and take great pride in the simplicity and effectiveness of the systems we build. Our back-end is built on Java, Postgres, and Kubernetes, and our front-end is built on React and Typescript.
- Independently develop novel system designs and requirements. Innovate and iterate on our most critical system components to build a foundation that enables the rest of the engineers to build better connectors
- Build proof of concept (POC-s) to demonstrate new ideas
- Help other engineering teams with turning the POC-s into production-ready features
- Researches, considers, and explores new possibilities utilizing the latest technologies and standards in our industry. May function as a go-to person for technology expertise.
- Experiment with new technologies to understand how they may fit into our future roadmap
- Periodically review changes being made to our code base by other teams to spot opportunities for cross-cutting improvements
- Experiment with improvements to our code architecture
- Contributes to the architectural design reviews for our data pipeline service projects
In the first three months, you will:
- Rotate through multiple engineering teams
- Get your hands dirty with building features and fixing bugs in different parts of our product
- Gain an in-depth understanding of how our product works and the challenges our engineers face every day
- Take a self-guided tour through our entire code base to gain a breadth of knowledge about where we’re at
- Learn the necessary context so that your innovation work can be targeted and practical
- An extensive track record of building quality software for many different applications
- A substantial diversity of experience with different programming languages, tools and frameworks
- Ability to balance quality vs. speed as needed
- Must be able to work during business hours in the pacific time zone
- Demonstrated expert ability to implement large-scale architectural projects in a highly effective manner
- Demonstrated temperament and interpersonal skills to work effectively at multiple levels ranging from in the trenches with engineers to working with the CTO
- Extensive back-end development experience
- Writes well-structured and performant code; hands-on in designing, building, maintaining, testing and deploying code
- Experienced with the formulation of ideas; building proof-of-concept (POC) and converting them to production-ready projects
Nice to Haves:
- Java programming experience
- Experience in data processing (ETL, ELT) and/or cloud-based platforms
- Experience in designing and developing file, event, application, or database connectors
- Experienced working in a cloud environment and microservices architecture utilizing AWS, GCP, Postgres, Kubernetes, Docker, CircleCI, or similar technologies
Perks and Benefits:
- 100% paid Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life Insurance. Benefits begin on your first day!
- Option of Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Savings Account (FSA)
- Generous paid time off (PTO) plus paid sick time, holidays, parental leave, and volunteer days off
- 401k match program
- Eligible donation match program
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Work-from-home equipment reimbursement for your home office setup!
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Company virtual happy hours and fun team building activities
- Pet Insurance -- and yes, you can bring your well-behaved fur babies to work
- Commuter benefits to help with transit and parking costs