About the role:
To keep up with the modern demands of complex and multi-terabyte pipeline workloads on our petabyte scale platform it is imperative for Fivetran to maintain a focus on performance in order to continually improve our connector throughput and stability. Fivetran is looking for an enthusiastic performance minded and focused Senior Software Engineer that will work to scale our data pipelines to seamlessly support large and rapidly changing Enterprise data sets.
As an engineer at Fivetran, you will work to measure pipeline throughput, identify performance bottlenecks, propose data driven solutions, and work hands-on across engineering to implement enhancements. Through doing this, you’ll be a key contributor in guaranteeing that we are delivering world class features for our data pipeline service, help improve our software architecture, and maintain reliable operation of the service. We're looking for engineers who want to learn the key values that make our product great, and implement those values in the many small decisions you make every day as a developer.
As a Software Engineer, you will:
- Improve codebase measuring of pipeline performance during the processing of multi-terabyte data sets
- Conduct benchmark testing with complex pipeline workloads with varied data shapes to expose and document existing and potential bottlenecks and limitations
- Carry out root cause analysis of complex performance issues identifying system inefficiencies and suggest optimizations
- Contribute directly to the codebase by implementing performance enhancements through optimizing library usages, fixing issues, and refactoring code hot spots
- Work to level up the team by advocating for and participating in training engineers on topics like performance and optimization best practices, profiling and tracing, etc.
- Support extended teams in triaging, troubleshooting, reproducing, and resolving customer performance issues while often translating into test cases.
- Java programming and JVM experience
- Extensive hands-on experience with bottleneck analysis, profiling, and tracing
- Solid understanding of systems concepts like process management, memory management, file systems, networking, etc.
- Strong grasp of database fundamentals (SQL, schema, internals) on databases like Oracle, Postgres, SQL Server, MySql, etc.
- Strong analytical and technical problem solving, communication, and collaboration skills
- Comfortable living in observability platforms like New Relic
- Provide data driven feedback, propose solutions and suggest improvements in the product
- Ability to work effectively both autonomously and in teams
- You will be working with globally distributed cross-functional teams to drive results
Perks and Benefits:
- 100% paid Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life Insurance. Benefits begin on your first day!
- Option of Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Savings Account (FSA)
- Generous paid time off (PTO) plus paid sick time, holidays, parental leave, and volunteer days off
- 401k match program
- Eligible donation match program
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Work-from-home equipment reimbursement for your home office setup!
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Company virtual happy hours and fun team building activities
- Pet Insurance -- and yes, you can bring your well-behaved fur babies to work
- Commuter benefits to help with transit and parking costs