Senior Software Engineer - Backend Cloud
As part of the Engineering team at Fivestars, our mission is to deliver applications that impact and improve the day to day lives of small business owners and consumers using our products across our network. In this role, you will be building and delivering highly scalable and reliable systems that drive the experience of thousands of local businesses and millions of consumers.
Who you are:
You’re an experienced, backend engineer who has built large, scalable systems that handle millions of daily requests and have applied that knowledge in a cloud environment. You have the ability to design, develop, and stand up new services based on product needs. You have experience transitioning from monolithic architectures to microservices. You are determined to provide reliable and fault-tolerant systems to both the developers and customers that consume them to help local businesses and communities thrive.
- You’ll maintain a high level of quality in our codebases through sound development practices including code reviews, instrumentation with monitoring and alerting systems, automated testing, and architecture reviews
- Own, design, and code product initiatives from start to finish
- You will work on and help to improve the platform upon which all of our web products and mobile APIs are built
- You’ll actively identify site scaling issues and help redesign systems to address them
What we're looking for:
- 5+ years of experience working with modern backend frameworks, primarily developing in Python with Django, Falcon, and FastAPI, but we also use Angular and React as needed
- Experience with relational and NoSQL data storage (PostgreSQL, Redis), asynchronous processing (Celery, RQ, Kafka), and templating (Jinja2)
- Experience managing workloads running on Kubernetes infrastructure with exposure to the use of cloud vendor Kubernetes solutions such as EKS, AKS, and GKE
- Experience deploying to public cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience instrumenting and managing applications using monitoring and trending systems (Prometheus, Grafana, Datadog), log aggregation systems (ELK, Loggly), and their agents
- Deep understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle including Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CICD) pipeline architecture (Jenkins, GitLab, Drone) including deployments into Kubernetes environments using tools such as Flux, Argo, or Spinnaker
- Be a strong team player. We work in small, tightly knit product teams that function cohesively to move as quickly as possible
Who we are:
At Fivestars our mission is to help businesses and communities thrive by turning every transaction into a relationship. Over 30 million people use Fivestars to get rewarded at 12,000 local businesses with one rewards program. Local businesses use Fivestars to bring more customers into their stores with one powerful program. In 2017, Fivestars drove $2 billion in local commerce across its network. We’ve raised $105 million from HarbourVest, Menlo Ventures, Lightspeed, DCM, and Y-Combinator and invite you to join us in creating a Love Local movement across the US and Canada. Visit www.fivestars.com for more information.
Fivestars provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or other applicable protected categories. In addition to federal law requirements, Fivestars complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.