At Fivestars, our mission is to help businesses and communities thrive by turning every transaction into a relationship. Over 50 million people across the United States and Canada use Fivestars to get rewarded at more than 14,000 local businesses with one rewards program. Local businesses use Fivestars to bring more customers into their stores with an all-in-one digital marketing program and payments platform. Fivestars drives over $3 billion in local commerce across its network per year.
Fivestars was launched out of Y-Combinator in 2011 (and most recently on Y-Combinator’s Top 75 Companies List for 2019) has raised over $100 million from notable investors including Lightspeed, DCM, HarbourVest, Menlo Ventures, Y-Combinator, and others.
Together, let’s love local!
Fivestars is seeking a world-class, experienced and hands-on Accounting Manager (newly created position) to support our fast-paced finance organization. Reporting directly to the Controller, you will be required to have a strong background and understanding of U.S. GAAP accounting principles, and in-depth knowledge or revenue recognition guidance including ASC-605 and ASC-606. You will be working closely with cross-functional teams to ensure timely and accurate recording and reporting of revenue. You will be streamlining our revenue recognition process with multiple performance obligations. The ideal candidate has experience with complex and transaction heavy revenue transactions and can think strategically on a process level. This role plays an essential part in our finance and accounting team and will oversee subscription/pay revenue and billing.
A successful candidate should be self-motivated, hands-on, and act as a proactive business partner and demonstrate the leadership capacity to assume increasing responsibility in finance management.
- Review sales arrangements to ensure revenue is recognized in accordance with U.S. GAAP and internal policies, play a key role in the adoption of ASC 606, prepare monthly revenue recognition, bad debt, and revenue reserve journal entries
- Analyze and research revenue accounting matters, providing accurate and comprehensive documentation of issues identified and resolutions reached
- Develop, implement and maintain desktop procedures for on-going revenue accounting activities
- Responsible for registering with new states and filing monthly sales tax using Avalara
- Prepare journal entries for various business transactions (revenue, cash receipts)
- Participate in and contribute to the completion of financial statement and statutory audits, including the preparation of audit schedules, supporting calculations, ad hoc reconciliation, bad debt, and revenue reserve)
- Support the Controller, CFO and other team members with various analysis and ad hoc projects
- Proactively identify issues and assisting in optimizing systems, upgrades and automation of accounting processes
- Prepare revenue accounting memos in compliance with U.S. GAAP
- Bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting required; CPA preferred, but not required
- Minimum of 7+ years of progressive experience in Finance and Accounting
- Strong proficiency in Quickbooks and Netsuite required
- Strong proficiency in Zuora and Avalara required
- Very strong MS Excel skills required, including comfort working with a large volume of data (e.g pivot tables & v-lookup experience)
- Very high attention to detail and accuracy and strong analytical skills required
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management and/or external auditors
- Solid understanding of balance sheet account reconciliations
- SaaS company or technology startup experience a plus
- Articulate and persuasive communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently, maintain tight deadlines, solve problems quickly, creatively and proactively
- Remain flexible in a constantly changing environment with changing requirements
- Work ethic that exudes integrity, accountability, and professionalism
Fivestars provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, FiveStars complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.