At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007 as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Fitbit is now a publicly traded company creating award-winning products and services that are available across the globe. We’re transforming the way the world sees health & fitness. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto.
Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the advantages of being public, offering a competitive benefits package and amazing perks. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and above all have fun doing it.
In our newest Fitbit office in Bucharest, located in the heart of the city, we are planning to build on the foundation laid by the Vector Watch team. We are looking to keep growing and this role will be fundamental to the continued success of Fitbit as we build exciting new products and services.
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
About the role
We are looking for a talented Java Software Engineer who is not afraid to get their hands dirty. A strong person to push distributed architectures and full stack solutions beyond the limits and deliver best-in-class solutions. Someone who looks beyond patching existing systems, and has the vision to re-envision them to suit our needs. Being a player in a global team, you will take ownership on critical pieces of our system and participate in all aspects of product development starting from feature analysis and estimation, continuing with the architecture design, testing, deployment and monitoring.
We expect you to have experience (3+ years) at designing, building and maintaining systems at large scale based on Java.
About The Teams
The Software Engineering organisation in Bucharest has several teams addressing different aspects of the business. In any of these teams, you will be able to contribute to world class developed applications.
The User Access Management team enables external partners and end users to securely interact with the Fitbit platform. We cover topics like: Web Single Sign-on, Multi Factor Authentication, Session Management, Credentials Management, OAuth2, Developer Portal and User Profile. You don’t have to be a security expert to join this team, but to be interested in crafting large-scale, critical, highly available and secure systems.
The Fitbit Core team is centered around the foundational features of the app: Activity, Sleep, Heart Rate and a few more you are welcome to ask about. We are Guardians that support these features on new devices and Engineers that envision their migration to Google Cloud Platform. We are Architects that design new initiatives around these features and Warriors that push the limits of current systems to defeat that extra ms of latency, to ensure resiliency and an overall outstanding customer experience.
- Experience with Microservices
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms and framework internals
- Solid understanding of the full web technology stack and a broad knowledge Java
- Experienced in architecture design of high available web applications, testing, deployment and monitoring
- Familiar with high traffic, scalable web applications. We are actively managing more than tens of million active users
- Experience working with databases (SQL and/or NoSQL technologies)
- Familiar with any of the following message queues systems: Kafka, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ
- Good knowledge in tuning servers for high throughput, JVM internals
- Always up to date with the latest technologies
- Interested in working closely across a variety of teams including product management, product designers and backend engineers
- Familiar with TDD, BDD
- Ability to technically mentor colleagues
- Familiar in agile and scrum methodologies
- Good English speaker and communication skills
- Experience with Kafka, Apache Mesos and Cassandra is a plus
- Experience with NodeJS
- Experience in working with containers: Docker
- Experience in working with CGP, AWS
- Experience with frontend frameworks: Ember, Angular, ReactJS
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.