At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007 as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Fitbit is now a publicly traded company creating award-winning products and services that are available across the globe. We’re transforming the way the world sees health & fitness. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto.
Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the advantages of being public, offering a competitive benefits package and amazing perks. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and above all have fun doing it.
In our newest Fitbit office in Bucharest, located in the heart of the city, we are planning to build on the foundation laid by the Vector Watch team. We are looking to keep growing and this role will be fundamental to the continued success of Fitbit as we build exciting new products and services.
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
About the role
We are looking for a talented Java Software Engineer who is strong enough to push distributed architectures and full stack solutions beyond the limits and deliver best-in-class solutions. Being a player in a global team you will take ownership on critical pieces of our system and participate in all the aspects of product development starting from a feature analysis and estimation, continuing with the architecture design, testing, deployment and monitoring.
We expect you to have experience (3+ years) at designing, building and maintaining systems at large scale based on Java.
About The Teams
The Software Engineering organisation in Bucharest has several teams addressing different aspects of the business. In any of these teams, you will be able to contribute to world class developed applications.
The Fitbit Developer Platform team is responsible for the status of the SDK which is used for developing 1st, 2nd and 3rd party apps for our trackers and smartwatches. This is a cross functional team, with members working on mobile, firmware, backend and frontend. Our stakeholders include other internal teams, external app developers, as well as end users.
The API Infrastructure team responsible for ensuring we provide a consistent and reliable experience to all clients. We support internal clients as well as integrations with Strava, MapMyRun, MyFitnessPal, Vitality Portal, Walgreens and more.
The Developer Productivity team is responsible for the build, testing and deployment of FIT services from developer laptops to 1000+ servers, by developing Java and Python libraries and frameworks.
- Experience with SOA
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms and framework internals
- Solid understanding of the full web technology stack and a broad knowledge Java
- Experienced in architecture design of high available web applications, testing, deployment and monitoring
- Experience working with high traffic, scalable web applications
- Experience working with databases (SQL and/or NoSQL technologies)
- Experience with message queues systems: Kafka, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ
- Experience in tuning servers for high throughput, JVM internals
- Always up to date with the latest technologies
- Interested in working closely across a variety of teams including product management, product designers and backend engineers
- Experience with TDD, BDD
- Ability to technically mentor colleagues
- Knowledge in agile and scrum methodologies
- Good English speaker and communication skills
- Experience with Kafka, Apache Mesos and Cassandra is a plus
- Experience with NodeJS
- Experience in working with containers: Docker
- Experience in working with AWS
- Experience with frontend frameworks: Ember, Angular, ReactJS
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.