At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
About the Data Storage Engineering team:
The Data Storage Team is responsible for the core data storage infrastructure at Fitbit. Our mission is to build scalable systems that reliably and efficiently manage Fitbit’s data.
We research, build and maintain horizontally scalable data storage systems and services to provide easy way to store any data for building various product features. We are constantly revising storage requirements as well as planning capacity to ensure that we can support our rapidly growing user base.
Additionally, we help other engineering teams apply best practices in using and building efficient storage solutions.
What You’ll Work On
- Core data storage infrastructure including sharding system, id generation, time series service, data migration frameworks
- Design, evaluate, build and deploy real-time data storage systems and services for user-facing features
- Provide consulting for other teams on how to best utilize our evolving data storage infrastructure
- Scale our data storage systems to meet the growing demands of our ever-increasing user base
- 5+ year experience as a software engineer
- Strong Java knowledge
- Experience with relational databases (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc)
- Experience with large-scale real-time distributed data storage systems (e.g. Cassandra, DynamoDB, Manhattan, etc)
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms and framework internals
- Ability to speak and write clearly and concisely
- Ability to think creatively about solutions with a focus on the long-term stability of our systems
- Experience in building storage engines, especially for time series data
- Experience with caching systems (e.g. Memcached, Redis)
- Experience in Hibernate and Spring
- Any experience in SOA, DBA, DevOps, SiteOps
- Familiarity with asynchronous messaging systems (e.g. Kafka, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ)
- Multi-DC, Active-Active systems, Geo-sharding
About our stack
- Java, Python
- Tomcat, Hibernate, Spring
- MySQL, Neo4J, Cassandra, Kafka, ActiveMQ
- Solr/Lucene, Elasticsearch
- Memcached, Redis
- JUnit, Selenium, Jenkins, Fabric
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.