At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
The Device Software team is responsible for implementing and integrating all firmware for wearable devices, as well as the software running in Fitbit’s mobile application and cloud infrastructure. As a Director of Engineering, Device Software, you will be leading an exceptional engineering team to deliver cutting-edge features. You will take product ideas from the concept stage through customer shipment and multiple feature updates.
As a high-impact Engineering Leader, you will translate the product vision and strategic future of Fitbit’s Device Software team into scalable offerings. You will lead a geographically distributed team of 30+ talented engineers on high-impact, high-velocity projects always balancing the team culture, product roadmap goals while building and optimizing stakeholder partnerships. You’ll scale new hires across several locations and continually evolve the team to leverage best technical, product and people decisions.This role reports directly to the VP of Engineering at Fitbit. This role requires thoughtful leadership and experience in leading global device software teams.
Your Responsibilities Include:
- Ensure proper staffing, manage the structure of your team
- Ensure robust planning and confidence in roadmap
- Work with Product Management to understand feature requirements, determine feasibility, and commit to an execution plan
- Oversee development teams to drive execution
- Oversee technology teams to ensure rapid integration and commercialization of new technologies
- Partner with cross functional teams to identify and resolve blocking issues
- Provide executive communication of program status
Who You Are:
- Ideally 15+ years experience with 5+ years of experience managing multiple software engineering teams (manager of managers)
- Experience managing geographically dispersed teams
- Collaborative style and experience working with product, UX and Program Managers on complex, multi-year roadmaps
- Track record of delivering on strategic & technical goals, including driving technical strategy via a strong technical leadership team
- Proven ability to manage to a budget and deliver on platform efficiency
- Identifying and closing engineering & product development gaps
- Building a high performance engineering culture including hiring top technical talent
- Defining and measuring KPIs
- Technical literacy with device software engineering strategy and execution, especially in a consumer products environment
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.