At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to more than 1,700 employees, sold over 90 million devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health, we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health and fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of a startup with the advantages of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance.
In addition, we have made the following commitments to accelerate our high-performance culture and deliver on our business priorities:
- Champion the customer- to keep all of our customers top of mind, working to improve their experience and increase their satisfaction/loyalty
- Rally Together- to work as one, global, cross-functional team because together we get to stronger outcomes
- Embrace the Challenge- to recognize our unique opportunity to make an impact, taking ownership and initiative to advance our mission.
Fitbit’s HQ is located in the heart of San Francisco and we have additional offices in Boston, San Diego, Salt Lake City, Dublin, Bucharest and in various other markets around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
Fitbit’s Device Engineering team is looking for a Systems Engineer to support design and development of increasingly complex wearable and connected devices. The Systems Engineer will be a core member of Fitbit’s Systems Engineering and Architecture team. Work is cross functional with other engineering groups, working in small teams that solve varieties of exciting technical challenges. The systems team bridges the gap between hardware and firmware
In this position, the Principal System Engineers are required to
- Design, develop, and drive embedded system designs to help create the next generation of wearable fitness device.
- Interface with program teams to understand the product/program requirement and translate it to a system architecture which supports target product and aligned well with future products in the roadmap
- Interface with electrical engineering for SoC selection, memory configuration, sensor and display selection, schematic reviews etc.
- Interface with embedded software development team to ensure OS selection, study software impact of component selection, evaluate and communicate HW programming sequences
- Create system specification documentation that translate the PRD requirements to a systems requirement specification. This will be used to inter alia to define pin muxing, define power and clock configuration, define different sleep states and transition between different sleep states, provide a system level block diagram etc.
- Own and maintain the project estimates for MIPS and memory for a product
- Research and review new tools, technologies and industry trends which might affect the project and its successors
- Discuss new technologies and possible joint development work with different vendors
- Help define and specify system level design and requirements that is used by vendors to provide system or subsystem solutions.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
- 5+ years experience of system engineering on battery operated devices with a good understanding of the power/performance tradeoffs
- Solid understanding of SoC architecture, data processing and memory management on ARM based devices
- Solid understanding of wearable device architecture
- System engineering experience on wearable device is a plus
- Track record of excelling in a multidisciplinary team environment
Desired Skills and Experience
- C development and software architecture skills
- Knowledge of silicon architecture and the silicon manufacturing cycle
- Knowledge of Bluetooth and/or NFC wireless protocols a plus.
- Knowledge of electronic circuits with experience in debugging embedded systems
In Fitbit’s Engineering organization, our values form the guiding principles for how we show up to work every day. We're looking for candidates who will contribute accordingly, making our organization stronger through the way they engage with their work and peers.
Fitbit Engineering Values:
- Respect the trust our customers place in us
- Own your success
- Help others succeed
- Know the “Why”
- Debate, commit, execute
- Make things we are proud of
- Leverage data to decide & iterate
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.