At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,700 employees, sold over 90mm devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
In our newest Fitbit office in Bucharest, located in the heart of the city, we are planning to build on the foundation laid by the Vector Watch team. We are looking to keep growing and this role will be fundamental to the continued success of Fitbit as we build exciting new products and services.
In addition, we have made the following commitments to accelerate our high-performance culture and deliver on our business priorities:
- Champion the customer- to keep all of our customers top of mind, working to improve their experience and increase their satisfaction/loyalty
- Rally Together- to work as one, global, cross-functional team because together we get to stronger outcomes
- Embrace the Challenge- to recognize our unique opportunity to make an impact, taking ownership and initiative to advance our mission.
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
About the role
We are looking for a talented Software Engineer who is not afraid to get their hands dirty. A strong person to push automation tools and frameworks beyond the limits and deliver best-in-class solutions. Someone who looks beyond patching existing systems and has the vision to re-envision them to suit our needs. Being a player in a global team, you will take ownership on critical pieces of our system and participate in all aspects of our automation solutions development starting from analysis and estimation, continuing with architecture design, implementation, testing, deployment and monitoring.
We expect you to have experience (4+ years) at designing and building systems based on Java or Python.
About the team
There are multiple organisations in Bucharest with several teams addressing different aspects of software automation. In any of these teams, you will be able to contribute to world class developed solutions.
The Automation Platform team is focused on delivering reusable solutions to all Software (cloud and mobile) teams in Fitbit to help them speed up automation.
Examples of challenges we’ve addressed:
- Building internal microservices that provide and then cleanup test data at scale (thousands of users)
- setting up the frameworks and infrastructure to make it possible to run performance tests on mobile apps on pull requests
- setting up backend automation frameworks used by teams world-wide
We use many different technologies for different purposes, like Java, Spring, Cassandra for microservices, JUnit5, Kotlin, UIAutomator, Espresso UI, Swift, XCUI for mobile automation frameworks, Jenkins, Gradle, Python scripts for our infrastructure and we are always open to new ones, as long as they can be leveraged company-wide.
You don’t have to be an automation expert to join this team, but to be interested in delivering the best, reusable, large-scale solutions for teams in Fitbit and pay attention to details.
What you’ll get from us
- Awesome team
- You might or might not be an expert in some of the technologies we’re playing with, but you’ll surely learn some new ones as well (between microservices, mobile sdks and scripts)
- Opportunity to actually invent the wheel on some of our projects
- Many cross-team interactions
- … and of course company benefits (which are way too many to list them here)
What we need from you
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- 4+ years of experience working as a Software Engineer
- Experience with microservices OR mobile apps, architecture system design, testing, deployment
- Experience with monitoring tools and best practices
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms and framework internals
- Solid understanding of a full technology stack and a broad knowledge in Java OR equivalent programming language
- Experience with third-party libraries and APIs
- Always up to date with the latest technologies
- Interested in working closely across a variety of teams including product management, backend engineers, mobile engineers, platform teams
- Familiar with TDD
- Familiar in agile and scrum methodologies
- Be a good English speaker and have strong communication skills
Either one of them would be a bonus:
- Experience in working with containers: Docker
- Experience with CI / CD servers: Jenkins
- Experience in working with GCP, AWS
- Familiar with a message queue system, preferably Kafka
- Experience with Swift
- Experience working with databases (SQL and/or NoSQL technologies)
- Ability to technically mentor colleagues
In Fitbit’s Engineering organisation, our values form the guiding principles for how we show up to work every day. We're looking for candidates who will contribute accordingly, making our organisation stronger through the way they engage with their work and peers.
Fitbit Engineering Values:
- Respect the trust our customers place in us
- Own your success
- Help others succeed
- Know the “Why”
- Debate, commit, execute
- Make things we are proud of
- Leverage data to decide & iterate
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, colour, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.