At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to more than 1,700 employees, sold over 90 million devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health, we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health and fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of a startup with the advantages of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance.
In addition, we have made the following commitments to accelerate our high-performance culture and deliver on our business priorities:
- Champion the customer- to keep all of our customers top of mind, working to improve their experience and increase their satisfaction/loyalty
- Rally Together- to work as one, global, cross-functional team because together we get to stronger outcomes
- Embrace the Challenge- to recognize our unique opportunity to make an impact, taking ownership and initiative to advance our mission.
Fitbit’s HQ is located in the heart of San Francisco and we have additional offices in Boston, San Diego, Taipei, Bucharest and in various other markets around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
Our Taipei Office is located in the heart of the modern Xinyi District near the Taipei City Hall. The area is surrounded by up-scaled shopping malls, loads of delicious local eateries, and fine international dining.
About the role
The Manager of Hardware Engineering is a technical leadership position with responsibility to shape product definition and technology direction. In this role, you will manage and develop a team of engineers based in Taipei, empowering the team to design and support electronics and electronic subsystems of Fitbit products throughout the entire product life cycle. In addition to managing a team, the Hardware Manager may represent Fitbit in supplier meetings, program kickoffs, project definition, while aligned to long term department strategy. You will have hands-on ownership and oversight of product development for Taiwan-based programs and US-based engineering initiatives. This is a highly visible position that will interact at all levels of the company. You will have the opportunity to make an impact on the products we develop while building a best in class engineering organization.
- Ensure the success and development of individuals on the project team by defining clear expectations, providing timely and specific feedback, and holding others accountable.
- Identify mentorship opportunities and coordinate training and professional development for your team.
- Provide technical oversight on development of new wearable electronic products done by your team
- Drive decisions and ensure uniform adherence to standardised product development processes across multiple device programs
- Work with EPMs to identify and prevent resource constraints before they happen
- Oversee hardware product development through the entire life cycle
- Work closely with operations, manufacturing, verification, systems, PD, and FW teams
- Travel to meet with suppliers and Headquarters to strengthen relationships
- Develop the EE team's engineering skills as part of continual growth
- Lead strategic initiatives to expand the capabilities of the Taipei team
- 8+ years of industry experience with 2+ years of personnel management experience
- Direct experience with hardware design on portable electronics (tablets, phones, notebooks)
- Successful completion of multiple consumer products, with direct experience shipping products in volumes exceeding 200k/year
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to influence decision makers in other teams through both written documentation and presentations
- Creative ideas for creating a nurturing environment for professional development
- Experience leading a team of engineers and also acting as a “hands-on” technical contributor in design reviews and decisions
- Deep knowledge in one or more technical topics
- Past experience with ODM or CM models of product development
- S., M.S. (preferred) in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
In Fitbit’s Engineering organization, our values form the guiding principles for how we show up to work every day. We're looking for candidates who will contribute accordingly, making our organization stronger through the way they engage with their work and peers.
Fitbit Engineering Values:
- Respect the trust our customers place in us
- Own your success
- Help others succeed
- Know the “Why”
- Debate, commit, execute
- Make things we are proud of
- Leverage data to decide & iterate
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.