At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier and more active lives. We do this by empowering them with data, inspiration, and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to more than 1,700 employees, sold over 90 million devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. With a focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health, we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health and fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the “get it done” spirit of a startup with the advantages of an established worldwide brand and tech company. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance.
The R&D team is looking for driven, multi-faceted people who thrive in a dynamic, fast paced environment. You will work alongside a diverse group of technical experts from all over the world to develop new technologies that push the boundaries of biosensing technology. You will dive into projects that involve device prototyping and early manufacturing process explorations in a laboratory setting. You are ambitious, data-driven, creative, and energetic. You’re interested in a bootstrapped, start-up like environment, that may require you to learn new skills outside of your comfort zone - and you’re excited about the opportunity to lead projects from early stage research to late-stage productization. You are familiar with high quality experimental design, and are self-motivated, resourceful, and organized. Think you've found your fit?
Fitbit is seeking a Principal Scientist to join our team. We are looking for a driven leader who has high technical breadth with strong organizational and communication skills. The ideal candidate will be able to think strategically, evaluate opportunities, track project progress, invent and develop technical solutions. You will have the opportunity to help define and productize the company’s first biosensor platform. You will be working as a member of a small research team with a start-up spirit. The role will also involve sensor development, experimental design and bench testing, and work with bodily fluids.
What You’ll Work On/ Responsibilities:
- Lead the technical and scientific aspects of projects.
- Develop and execute experimental plans based on deliverables and plan activities to meet project timelines.
- Proactively recommend strategies to overcome hurdles to meet project timelines.
- Provide supervision, training and mentorship to junior scientists and engineers.
- Familiar with dFMEA, Design Control, CLSI guidelines, 21CFR820, ISO13485 &14971, CLIA, 510K, and Lean six sigma principles.
- PhD in Science or Engineering + minimum 10 years of relevant experience in the field.
- Demonstrate scientific and technical proficiency in enzymatic and non-enzymatic biosensors and knowledge of enzyme and protein immobilization and stabilization.
- Knowledge of analytical methods and techniques (spectroscopy, colorimetry, electrochemistry, ...).
- Experience with root cause analysis and failure mode analysis.
- Excellent communication and strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity/uncertainty and a willingness to try new/challenging things
- Knowledge in data analysis and statistics using Python, R, etc...
- Strength in project management, maintaining timelines and technology transfer.
In Fitbit’s Engineering organization, our values form the basis of our culture and how we show up to work every day. We're looking for candidates who will contribute accordingly, making our organization stronger through the way they engage with their work and peers.
Fitbit Engineering Values:
- Respect the trust our customers place in us
- Own your success
- Help others succeed
- Know the “Why”
- Debate, commit, execute
- Make things we are proud of
- Leverage data to decide & iterate
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.