At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to more than 1,700 employees, sold over 90 million devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health, we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health and fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of a startup with the advantages of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance.
In addition, we have made the following commitments to accelerate our high-performance culture and deliver on our business priorities:
- Champion the customer- to keep all of our customers top of mind, working to improve their experience and increase their satisfaction/loyalty
- Rally Together- to work as one, global, cross-functional team because together we get to stronger outcomes
- Embrace the Challenge- to recognize our unique opportunity to make an impact, taking ownership and initiative to advance our mission.
Fitbit’s HQ is located in the heart of San Francisco and we have additional offices in Boston, San Diego, Salt Lake City, Dublin, Bucharest and in various other markets around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
About the role
We’re looking for an engineering manager to lead a backend software team working on Device Software.
The Device Software team is responsible for implementing and integrating all software aspects to make our wearable devices function within the overall Fitbit ecosystem, encompassing back-end development as well as mobile and firmware.
As manager of a cross platform engineering team, you will guide and grow engineers who are building and supporting new and existing features and systems that directly impact millions of end users. You will develop and lead a team of exceptional engineers to deliver cutting-edge features in Fitbit’s products. You'll touch many different areas of the Fitbit ecosystem, so you should be aware of the larger context of your work and have a deep understanding of how platforms interrelate. This is a hands-on engineering management position involving both technical and personnel leadership.
- Build and lead a team of 7-10+ software engineers contributing to and leading development in product and technology projects
- Coach and develop leadership skills of direct reports
- Develop, track, and communicate progress and risks to technology roadmap, maintaining alignment with product roadmap
- Oversee and champion architecture and critical implementations, product and code quality, and use of best practices focused on platform development and leverage
- Develop, maintain, and implement staffing and hiring plans working closely with product teams, department management, and our recruiting team
- Participate in department processes and initiatives including budgeting and fostering a culture of engineering excellence
- Lead or participate in technology and product development project retrospectives
- 5 years experience managing software engineers with multiple simultaneous projects of varying scope
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or comparable skill
- In-depth experience in engineering or managing one or more functional areas such as:
- Distributed systems
- Programming with Java or equivalent OOP language
- Cloud services
- Database design and optimization in MySQL or NoSQL, such as Cassandra
- Mobile applications
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with capital budgeting and portfolio planning
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience building web services for IoT devices and mobile platforms
- Experience with cloud systems design and operations
In Fitbit’s Engineering organization, our values form the basis of our culture and how we show up to work every day. We're looking for candidates who will contribute accordingly, making our organization stronger through the way they engage with their work and peers.
Fitbit Engineering Values:
- Respect the trust our customers place in us
- Own your success
- Help others succeed
- Know the “Why”
- Debate, commit, execute
- Make things we are proud of
- Leverage data to decide & iterate
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.