At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to more than 1,700 employees, sold over 90 million devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health, we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health and fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of a startup with the advantages of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance.
In addition, we have made the following commitments to accelerate our high-performance culture and deliver on our business priorities:
- Champion the customer- to keep all of our customers top of mind, working to improve their experience and increase their satisfaction/loyalty
- Rally Together- to work as one, global, cross-functional team because together we get to stronger outcomes
- Embrace the Challenge- to recognize our unique opportunity to make an impact, taking ownership and initiative to advance our mission.
In our newest Fitbit office in Bucharest, located in the heart of the city, we are planning to build on the foundation laid by the Vector Watch team. We are looking to keep growing and this role will be fundamental to the continued success of Fitbit as we build exciting new products and services.
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
About the team
The App Platform team is responsible for all core infrastructure used across the Fitbit services. Our goal is to allow the feature teams to do what they do best, which is build features. We will provide the components, frameworks, libraries and services for logging, RPCs, message queues, metrics gathering, caching and many more.
We spend our time thinking about scalability, reliability, security and performance. We solve problems that we know about now as well as problems we foresee months and years down the road.
Currently we leverage a lot of open source technology like Finagle, Thrift, Kafka, Elasticsearch, Memcached among others. However, we also believe that Fitbit has a lot of unique problems that require us to think creatively outside of what the open source world can provide.
What You’ll Work On:
As a member of the Fitbit App Platform team you get to play a few different roles:
Architect: We are the ones that know how our large system should fit together.
Developer: We write lots of code. Some is purely for prototyping and what passes the prototyping phase is made ready for production and used by nearly all server teams.
Consultant: We work closely with all the server teams to understand their needs and lend assistance with the infrastructure we have built.
Leader: We need to be vocal about our experiences to internal teams as well as the outside world through blog posts, presentations and open source contributions.
- 10+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Strong Java (or similar language) knowledge
- Experience working with high traffic, scalable web applications
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms and framework internals
- Ability to speak and write clearly and concisely
- Ability to create and execute a project plan
- Ability to work with a team spanning several time zones and offices
- Engage with our internal customers and translate their needs into specific deliverables
- Ability to mentor and develop junior engineers
- Experience with SOA (good SOA design principles and best practices)
- Experience with at least one relational database (e.g. MySQL) and one NoSQL database (e.g. Cassandra)
- Familiarity with asynchronous messaging systems, such as Kafka and ActiveMQ
- DevOps experience
In Fitbit’s Engineering organization, our values form the guiding principles for how we show up to work every day. We're looking for candidates who will contribute accordingly, making our organization stronger through the way they engage with their work and peers.
Fitbit Engineering Values:
- Respect the trust our customers place in us
- Own your success
- Help others succeed
- Know the “Why”
- Debate, commit, execute
- Make things we are proud of
- Leverage data to decide & iterate
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.