At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
Engineering leadership (EVP) is looking for a Chief of Staff and Head of Engineering Business Operations (EBO). You will be responsible for Engineering’s rhythm of the business, goals & key results, getting stuff done, and leading the small and powerhouse team known as EBO. The team has all Engineering Executive Assistants and Ministers of Progress (these folks have a combination of program management, business operations, and process engineering skills). Additionally, you will be responsible for the full Engineering budget and primary interface with Finance partners and Human Resource Business Partner. You will build connective tissue in the organization and ultimately build a Center of Excellence that will help to teach Engineering how to deliver on customer expectations in a more efficient way; teach them to fish and how to build strong cultures.
What you'll work on:
- Be the key lieutenant (aka right hand) to the EVP, advising the EVP and able to be a stand-in during meetings - take key decisions and speak on behalf of the EVP.
- Works to solve problems, mediate disputes, and deal with issues before they are escalated to the EVP Engineering.
- Researching, benchmarking, analyzing data, and making recommendations.
- Help cultivate a positive culture.
- Managing and driving Engineering staff activities, accountability and priority Getting Stuff Done (GSD).
- Drive Engineering rhythm of the business; Engineering Leadership, Management, to all engineers.
- Includes communication cadence and mechanisms.
- E.g. Leadership Stand Ups, Staff, All Hands, QBR preparation, etc.
- Facilitate org structure and location strategy and hold the Engineering Leadership to the agreed upon strategy.
- Facilitate creation of Engineering staff Goals, Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and Key Results (KR).
- Drive cascading from Company level to Engineering Leadership level.
- Ensure accountability mechanisms are in place.
- Own the budget and work with finance to ensure meeting fiscal responsibilities
- Managing headcount and resources distribution
- Participate in portfolio management with CEO CoS; by ensuring the established labor and cost tracking mechanisms are used and data visualizations provided according to the defined cadance.
- Coordinate performance management with Human Resources, for the full Engineering organization
- Facilitate and oversee comp distribution and promo.
- Continually work to improve cross-functional process effectiveness and efficiency especially with Human Resources (People team), Finance, Facilities (workplace) and other common services organizations
- Overseeing large, often cross-functional organization-wide projects or initiatives. Bring together multiple stakeholders and help drive decisions.
- Create systems and processes to streamline operations.
- Create a Center of Excellence function within the EBO and proliferate the skills throughout Engineering.
Who you are:
- 15 years of program management experience combined with some form of business process engineering
- 5+ years people management & coaching experience
- Experience with organizational change management and transformation
- Experience in an Agile and Waterfall development environment
- Lean / Six Sigma experience & facilitation
- Excellent verbal, presentation, and written communication skills
- Exceptional leadership and management skills, with the ability to develop and communicate a vision that inspires and motivates staff and aligns with the business strategy
- Ability to build strong relationships within all disciplines
- Effective influencing and negotiation skills in an environment in which resources may not be under your direct control
- Excellent analytical, strategic conceptual thinking, strategic planning and execution skills
- Ability to travel to locations around the globe
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master's degree or MBA
- Operational Excellence or Center of Excellence team leadership experience
- Data visualization creation experience
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.