At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,700 employees, sold over 90 million devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Think you’ve found your fit?
Description of the job:
Fitbit is looking for a Lead Software Engineer to Developer Productivity team to join an existing team of 6. As a team member you will optimize the speed and efficiency of our entire engineering organization. You will manage a variety of projects related to tooling, build engineering, automation, continuous integration and deployment, and much more.
Our goal is to provide high quality services and tools to engineerings teams to provide the best and smooth development experience we could.
The team in EU is split between Minsk, Belarus and Bucharest, Romania offices (6 people) and have adjacent team in San Francisco, USA (3 people). You will work closely with team members located in all the offices, collaborate with other platform teams on delivering projects and help engineering teams to adopt best practices, debug and troubleshoot issues related to the use of internal services. This work might require short term travels to Europe and the US.
You need to be able to identify problems in development and delivery workflow, work with teams on developing solution and deliver it. Majority of our users developing services in JVM stack; our current tech stack is a bit wider and include Gradle & Jenkins DSL, Go & Bazel, as well as Bitbucket, Artifactory and Sonarqube as services we maintain. Our deployments are using Apache Mesos and Aurora with plans to get to Kubernetes in the very near future. The team is currently working on migrating existing services from puppet and bare metal setup to GCP and Terraform, developing approaches for simplification of upgrades for services we own (Bitbucket, Artifactory, etc), standardization of CD pipeline.
What You'll work on:
- Design and implement moderately complex components or systems.
- Create and own technical design documents
- Act as an expert for the tools, systems, and/or applications you work on
- Coach and work with other teams to build scalable and reliable software
- Mentor new team members
- Act as a positive example for other software engineers to follow
- Contribute to the goals of a globally-distributed team and be willing to take an active role in helping the team deliver results
- Contribute process improvements that boost productivity and quality
- Participate in the team’s production on-call rotation
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer, devops engineer, or similar role
- You're extremely comfortable with the Java language and ecosystem. You know the ins and outs of the language, are comfortable with the standard tools for building and delivering applications written in Java.
- Experience building, deploying, and operating web applications and services as well as frameworks and tools for engineers.
- You are familiar with or have an interest in diving into the internals of applications and frameworks like Bitbucket, Artifactory, Gradle, Bazel, Sonarqube.
- Able to work effectively as part of a small (and possibly distributed) team
- You can communicate effectively with peers and are able to tailor your communication to your audience
- Ability to take a high level (and often vague) problem, design the solution, and work independently to deliver the project
Perks & Benefits:
- Competitive salary and stock options (RSUs)
- International Team of world-class engineers
- Cutting edge tech stack
- Premium hardware of your choice: Apple or Lenovo
- Comprehensive medical insurance: medicines and dental
- Fitbit employee discount on devices and accessories
- Sport expenses compensation
- Flexible work hours
- 26 days vacation, paid sick leave, extra days off
- Free English classes with native speakers
- Business trips to US & Europe
- Fully-stocked kitchen
- Office located in the city center
- Work on life-changing product
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.