At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
What you'll do:
You will manage and develop a team of engineers based in San Francisco. You will empower them to design and develop the mechanical components of Fitbit products to ensure mechanical robustness, function, manufacturability, time to market, and cost goals are met. In this strongly technical leadership position, you will have the opportunity to shape product definition and technology direction. You will see the big picture while also playing close attention to details. And you will work across the organization to solve cross-functional problems and deliver high quality products. Your team will be responsible for executing ME product development throughout the entire product life cycle, and you are responsible for ensuring that they are set up for success. This is a highly visible position that will interact at all levels of the company. You will have the opportunity to make an impact on the products we develop while building a best in class engineering organization.
- Ensure the success and development of individuals on the project team by defining clear expectations, providing timely and specific feedback, and holding others accountable.
- Work with our program management teams to identify and prevent resource constraints before they happen.
- Identify and coordinate training and professional development for your team.
- Provide technical oversight over all the work done by your team.
- Travel to Asia to support pre-production builds and strengthen partner relationships.
- Develop and champion a standardized product development process.
- BS in Product Design, Mechanical Engineering, related discipline, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- 1+ year of experience managing/leading a team.
- 5+ years of designing consumer oriented products using a broad range of processes and materials, with an emphasis on highly cosmetic plastic/elastomer molding and metal parts (sheet metal, CNC, MIM, etc.).
- 5+ years of experience working with overseas suppliers and ODM/CM/JDM partners, specifically designing and ramping high volume parts and assemblies.
- Experience in the development and integration of electro-mechanical components, such as display assemblies, batteries, and antenna.
- Experience in the areas of: Tolerance Analysis, Statistical Analysis, Design of Experiments, FEA, Thermal Design, DFA, 3D MCAD, etc.
- An ability to communicate well with cross-functional team members, efficiently collaborate to achieve project goals, contribute positively to the engineering community, and influence decision makers across the organization.
- Creative ideas for establishing and maintaining a nurturing environment for professional development.
- Highly motivated to teach, learn, and contribute.
- Domestic and international travel up to 25%.
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.